1993 KHS Montana Team - Done!...Pics P3

Re:

Nice one Martin. Looks a great base for a project, especially with the original forks.

You do very fine work so signing up for updates :cool:

Re: New Arrival - 1993 KHS Montana Team :)

Nice score Martin! I wish these wouldn't keep cropping up though, each time I see one I get the urge to have mine repainted in the original colours :facepalm: :LOL:

Re: Re:

Giom6":uqp5hse4 said:
Nice one Martin. Looks a great base for a project, especially with the original forks.

You do very fine work so signing up for updates :cool:

Thanks Gio :)

Re: New Arrival - 1993 KHS Montana Team :)

foz":27ipfw4q said:
Nice score Martin! I wish these wouldn't keep cropping up though, each time I see one I get the urge to have mine repainted in the original colours :facepalm: :LOL:

Do it! ;) :LOL:

Re:

Got the bike stripped down. The BB needed quite a bit of persuasion!...had to fix the BB tool in the big vice and use the frame as the lever ;) The headset didn't want to come out either!...thought I might have to cut it, but got there in the end :)

The parts have been dis-assembled and given a good session in the ultrasonic cleaner before lubing and re-assembly...

The frame and fork were treated to a 3 stage polish!...with my DIY polishing-machine! :LOL:

Some before and after shots:

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Fork...

I will probably sort out some touch-up at some point. I've emailed KHS to see if they can help with paint codes, but otherwise will get some colour matched ;)

Cheers

Re: Update 16/4/15 - 1993 KHS Montana Team :)

Looking good! If you find out those paint codes, please let me know :LOL:

Re:

Parts...

XTR (nos) Headset courtesy of Retrospud :)

Zoom (nos) Cable hanger

Titec titanium bar, serviced M900 STi units, Zoom stem and ODi (and lightweight foam option) grips

M900 cassette & mechs came up nicely after a few sessions in the ultrasonic cleaner :)

As did the M900 cranks and SG-X rings, to be fitted with a Venhill titanium bolt kit and aluminium spacers. Also Action -Tec ti BB, Onza HO ti Pedals and Middleburn ti cranks bolts

USE ti s'post and shim, Bontrager ti and Flite ti saddles. Fitting the Bonty to start as it's a bit lighter! ;)

M900 cantis with ti pad-holder bolts and Kool-stop pads

Cheers

Re: Update 16/4/15 - 1993 KHS Montana Team :)

foz":2e0cyeih said:
Looking good! If you find out those paint codes, please let me know :LOL:

KHS replied, which was good of them to take the time :) ...but couldn't help :(

Their (non-specific) reply...

Frequently Asked Questions

Maintenance & Repair

I chipped my bike's paintjob. What's the best way to touch up the damage?

Touching up paint isn't too difficult but it can be tricky finding a paint that matches your color. This is because bicycle manufacturers no longer provide touch-up paint. We suggest visiting an auto-parts store and checking their selection of automobile touch-up paint. Often, you'll find a good match there. Another touch-up alternative is nail polish, which comes in many hues and is easily applied.
When you've found a color match, check the chipped spot for corrosion. Any rust will need to be gently sanded off (don't scuff up the surrounding area). Then, carefully apply the paint by putting on a thin layer, letting it dry and repeating until you've filled the chip.
Don't expect the chip to disappear. You'll still be able to see the edges. But, from a few feet away, the paintjob should look fine. And, the important thing is that you've made your paintjob intact again, which prevents further paint wear and any possible corrosion from developing (not much of a concern on aluminum, carbon and titanium frames).

Best Regards,
KHS BICYCLES INC.
2840 HARCOURT ST.
RANCHO DOMINGUEZ, CA 90221

...off to raid the wife's nail posh! :mrgreen:

Back