1993 Brodie Expresso here we go!

Re: 1993(?) Brodie Expresso here we go!

Gonna be nice. I'll take a looksy for those parts when I get a sec.

It's about 50 never than my Jan. '93 built Brodie by s# ... Gotta be a 1993.

That's sweet Shamus. I'm glad you're really happy with it. It was tough to let go, that's for sure! Im looking forward to watching the progress here :)

I need, in 20.5", a Romax and an Expresso to complete my Brodie set.

Thanks BC, you should post your Sovereign here as well, we can have a race ;)...

Because the paint on this frame is so 'worked in' I am really inspired to do a parts 'as is' build. Everything will be in top notch working order, but nothing will be so clean or polished as to hurt the eyes. Not laziness, just looking like a bike that has been ridden hard but well taken care of. Not going for a stock re-build either, but lots of Canadiana...

What do we call that kind of build, just a rider I guess?

Please don't repaint it :) I call them users. I only have users as my biggest kick is hunting, scavenging, and salvaging and then making rideable bikes.

BC":1ps3574i said:
That's sweet Shamus. I'm glad you're really happy with it. It was tough to let go, that's for sure! Im looking forward to watching the progress here :)

I need, in 20.5", a Romax and an Expresso to complete my Brodie set.
you don't have a Lightbeam either. :)

lol, no I don't. I don't have a roadie either

I heard back from Paul Brodie this morning:

"Hi Shamus,

2503 is an 18" Expresso, completed June 12, 1993. There is no note of who it was sold to. We often sold frames only, so I cannot say if it was spec'd with a Gatorblade.

All the best,
Paul"

So there you have it! I have also asked if the 1993 Brodies were spec'ed with rigid forks (ie Gatorblades), though I believe they were, then suspension forks for 1994(?).

I haven't had much time to work on the bike yet, only the bottom bracket has been installed.

shamobius":3mque15x said:
I heard back from Paul Brodie this morning:

"Hi Shamus,

2503 is an 18" Exspresso, completed June 12, 1993. There is no note of who it was sold to. We often sold frames only, so I cannot say if it was spec'd with a Gatorblade.

All the best,
Paul"

So there you have it! I have also asked if the 1993 Brodies were spec'ed with rigid forks (ie Gatorblades), though I believe they were, then suspension forks for 1994(?).

I haven't had much time to work on the bike yet, only the bottom bracket has been installed.

That's just awesome having confirmation like that straight from the man himself and obviously gives you complete piece of mind ;) ..

Paul is awesome for doing this and helping us out. Curious though. Do you prefer a rigid bike or a squishy bike?

That's a simple but complicated question. I don't prefer one over the other necessarily. It depends on the type and length of ride mostly. Also I have a retro rigid (Manitou) already, and no retro boingers yet.

I tend to think that the steep geometry that was popular in the early 90s is a little extreme, and if a bike that was designed for rigid forks has a set of suspension forks installed (limited travel, say 63mm) then that can mellow out the angles a touch. Suspension forks do add weight of course, which sucks, but on a longer ride its nice to have a little 'squishy'-ness...

So I don't have a preference, and if someone were to hook me up with a pair of Gatorblades, I wouldn't think twice about going rigid ;)...

Back