1992 Specialized S-Works Cross

Guigui58

Dirt Disciple
This is technically not a MTB, but close! Let me know if this is the wrong place to post this thread.

I found this 1992 Specialized S-Works Cross earlier this summer on Marketplace. Having never heard of this model, I started by ignoring the Facebook ad simply titled "hybrid bike". However, something was bugging me about this bike; the paint job seemed nice, and it had what looked like a Deore XT derailleur at the back. I found the ad again and to my surprise, the "hybrid bike" was fitted with a bunch of nice parts and had "S-Works" decals. A quick search confirmed that this is a real (and obscure) model only offered for one year by S-Works, so I jumped on it!

The bike is in amazing condition! The only notable thing is that the front wheel is a bit buckled and one of the spokes is snapped in half (probably happened during storage, the seller mentioned never having an accident with it and there's no sign of damage anywhere else).

I will begin to work on it this week. The plan is to try to keep it as original as possible. Since I'm almost 6ft tall, this 18" bike is on the smaller side. I went on a short ride and while I was confortable enough, a 20" might have been ideal... I want to change the flat bar for a drop bar since I'll use this bike as a road / gravel bike. The drop bar's long reach and a bit more seatpost sticking out might make this bike fit me perfectly!

20230726_173807.jpg

20230726_173843.jpg
20230726_173908.jpg

Attachments

• 20230726_173854.jpg
    20230726_173854.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 14
You can also post pics here, really nice find..

What a nice ride 👍

We had not long time ago another discussion about this rare model
The bike was bought from someone here.

Taking the bike apart went smoothly, it probably was not used much and stored inside for all these years. The paint looks even nicer after cleaning everything up!

Next step is to fix and clean the wheels. I found some almost new tires on Marketplace, Schwalbe G-One Allround 28" x 1.5", which should be perfect for this bike.

20231009_135226.jpg 20231009_135448.jpg 20231009_135541.jpg 20231009_135309.jpg

Things progressed last week! The wheels are now true, broken spokes were replaced and the hub bearings are repacked.

The tires look great on this bike and will be perfect for the type of terrain I'll be riding (mostly road and gravel). Despite being 38mm wide, there's still plenty of space for even wider tires. I bet 50mm could easily fit in there.

20231011_184643.jpg

20231011_184911.jpg 20231011_184857.jpg

What an oddity! Back then hybrid bikes were firmly aimed at the casual end of the market, so I wonder what the thinking was for producing an S-Works version? Maybe hoping for the 'casual, but wants only the best' market segment?

What is the frame tubing?

What an oddity! Back then hybrid bikes were firmly aimed at the casual end of the market, so I wonder what the thinking was for producing an S-Works version? Maybe hoping for the 'casual, but wants only the best' market segment?

What is the frame tubing?
I know that some companies made higher end hybrid bikes in the early / mid 90s (the 1994 Klein Adept for example), maybe at the time the were trying to start a new trend? This probably didn't work very well since hybrid bikes stayed, but as lower end models for more casual riders...

It seems to use Prestige tubing. I'm not sure if it's for the whole frame or for the main triangle only. There is no indication on the frame itself and the only brochure I found is in German 😂 It is very light though!

36737829433_14ab9bba83_h.jpg

I'm guessing it's full Prestige, but not sure. Where is the frame made? I think the Prestige Stumpjumpers were made in Japan, so assuming this is too?

Back