1992 Specialized S-Works Cross

rouge_prawn

Specialized Fan
Hey everyone,

26" MTB established most of the basic characteristics of modern mountain bike technology. The experiments manufacturers conducted regarding frame shapes and bike geometries resulted in a list of "what not to do" when designing bikes. Drawing from all the experience gained from these experiments, nowadays bikes are faster, more efficient, and more comfortable. But in the background, cross/hybrid bikes were playing a different game in a low-key league. They were not focused on performance, but rather on the pleasure of riding a bike. Ironically, this is what the industry is moving towards today: making bikes comfortable and easy to ride.

The interest I have developed in these bikes over the last few months has led me to investigate further. Although not much information is available, bikes were generally built by MTB frame companies based on mountain bike geometries, but with a more upright position and 700c wheels for increased inertia and comfort. Obviously, despite the head steering tube angle... doesn't it sounds like a modern 29" hardtrail? They were designed to be used on asphalt roads during the week and trails at the weekend, basically an At
TB bike (an acronym that is curiously becoming fashionable again).

Anyway, and I don't want to write a full bible but a few weeks ago I found a bike with all the ingredients to be an icon; steel frame, Specialized, 1992, fading paint job, XT 732 and... S-Works!

It's a Specialized S-Works Cross from 1992, if I am not mistaken, this was the first time the company used this name to define the top-of-the-range bikes and this one being the entry level, at approx 1350USD. When I saw the bike listed I sent a text message to the owner and we agreed on the price and date to meet in a matter of a day, I would do it again blind. Counting travel expenses (I'll explain this another day) and the agreed price, I overpaid but it was definitely worth it, at least personally which is what matters at the end.

I'll write more about the current condition of the bike and my future plans, but for now, 3 quick pics once it got to the new home!

Attachments

• B0AD085C-B00C-4AD2-803A-44928B7E387D.jpeg
    B0AD085C-B00C-4AD2-803A-44928B7E387D.jpeg
    962.5 KB · Views: 151
  • B7E1E82B-ECB3-402E-A2F6-D06D28E5A1DF.jpeg
    B7E1E82B-ECB3-402E-A2F6-D06D28E5A1DF.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 0CB2FA7A-2D33-4C7C-AB4E-63D5C600284C.jpeg
    0CB2FA7A-2D33-4C7C-AB4E-63D5C600284C.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Stoked to see this ended up in good hands, and can't wait to see what you do with it!

Sensitive period correct build, or let your hair down and throw whatever you like at it?

Can't go wrong either way with something like this, I feel.

Cross bikes that will take a big tire. ATB. Whatever you want to call them, getting loud on some trails on 700c's is the way to go!

Hey everyone,

Let's start from the beginning. The S-Works Cross was located in Berlin, which is not close to London, where I live. Shipping was not an option due to the high cost and potential customs requirements, so I discarded that idea. Instead, I checked flights and was lucky to find reasonably priced tickets. I booked a flight at 10am and the return flight at 10pm on the same day, giving me 12 hours to visit Berlin and pick up the bicycle.

After three long weeks, I finally made it to Berlin. I spent the morning exploring the city and at 6pm, I met with the sellers. They were a Berliner woman in her 60s and her son, who was in his late 20s or early 30s I think. Both were lovely, kind, and the type of people you could become friends with. The bicycle was exactly as described, and the size was perfect. It only took a short 50-meter ride and a quick check to bought it. I was already there and didn't want to return empty-handed. I didn't have a bike travel bag, and one of the agreements was to provide a bicycle box. I flew to Berlin with a set of basic tools to disassemble the stem, rear derailleur and pedals, but the airport security took them away since tools are not allowed in the cabin... and here's where the fun started.

I calculated that I would need 1 hour to pack the bike, but when the son brought the box... it was beyond gigantic! It was more than 2 meters long by 1.5 meters tall, and there is no way the people at the desk would have accepted it or even put it in the x-ray machine.The box needed to be cut, trimmed and redesigned to be smaller.

Time was precious, so I decided to disassembly the bike and wrap the components while I was thinking about how to redesign the box. They kindly allowed me to use their tools. Everything disassembled smoothly except for the pedals, which were completely stuck! I couldn't remove them with any of the tools she had, so my girlfriend (this for another post) went to the nearest Bauhaus to buy a long spanner. The flight check-in was getting closer and close, and my girlfriend was sending me pictures of spanners while I was cutting and taping a cardboard box. After 30 minutes, she returned with a long spanner and with some WD-40 (best partner)... et voilà! I was finally able to remove the pedals!

With the bike secured, the box sealed, we ordered the transport and headed for the airport. Once there, we checked in the 18.7 kg box, took 2 minutes to breathe and then ran back to the boarding gate...

The most stressful 2 hours of the month...

The bike is in the same condition as the last post and I'm away this weekend. Next post will be an inventory of the current shape of the bike and maybe my plans for it, but probably better to keep the plans for another future post...

Lmao, I never would have imagined flying to another country along with all the 'joys' of flying to pick up a bike, but to each their own and why the heck not? You only live once.

My personal dream if I may?

The old S-Works branded parts are very hard to come by, especially the seat. If I were to regularly ride this bike I would pull the original seat, grips, tires and the cranks and put all that in dark dry storage then replace aforementiomed parts with tasteful, common period-correct.

Hey everyone,

Let's start from the beginning. The S-Works Cross was located in Berlin, which is not close to London, where I live. Shipping was not an option due to the high cost and potential customs requirements, so I discarded that idea. Instead, I checked flights and was lucky to find reasonably priced tickets. I booked a flight at 10am and the return flight at 10pm on the same day, giving me 12 hours to visit Berlin and pick up the bicycle.

After three long weeks, I finally made it to Berlin. I spent the morning exploring the city and at 6pm, I met with the sellers. They were a Berliner woman in her 60s and her son, who was in his late 20s or early 30s I think. Both were lovely, kind, and the type of people you could become friends with. The bicycle was exactly as described, and the size was perfect. It only took a short 50-meter ride and a quick check to bought it. I was already there and didn't want to return empty-handed. I didn't have a bike travel bag, and one of the agreements was to provide a bicycle box. I flew to Berlin with a set of basic tools to disassemble the stem, rear derailleur and pedals, but the airport security took them away since tools are not allowed in the cabin... and here's where the fun started.

I calculated that I would need 1 hour to pack the bike, but when the son brought the box... it was beyond gigantic! It was more than 2 meters long by 1.5 meters tall, and there is no way the people at the desk would have accepted it or even put it in the x-ray machine.The box needed to be cut, trimmed and redesigned to be smaller.

Time was precious, so I decided to disassembly the bike and wrap the components while I was thinking about how to redesign the box. They kindly allowed me to use their tools. Everything disassembled smoothly except for the pedals, which were completely stuck! I couldn't remove them with any of the tools she had, so my girlfriend (this for another post) went to the nearest Bauhaus to buy a long spanner. The flight check-in was getting closer and close, and my girlfriend was sending me pictures of spanners while I was cutting and taping a cardboard box. After 30 minutes, she returned with a long spanner and with some WD-40 (best partner)... et voilà! I was finally able to remove the pedals!

With the bike secured, the box sealed, we ordered the transport and headed for the airport. Once there, we checked in the 18.7 kg box, took 2 minutes to breathe and then ran back to the boarding gate...

The most stressful 2 hours of the month...

The bike is in the same condition as the last post and I'm away this weekend. Next post will be an inventory of the current shape of the bike and maybe my plans for it, but probably better to keep the plans for another future post...
Yes, it was really adventurous, also for me. :D
I wrote, look at the bike first and then do the sightseeing. You could have picked up the packed bike later.
But no matter, I was happy about the visit, even if there were problems with the oversized package and the stuck pedals. At least they weren't rusted and looked brand new. I was very happy about that. We didn't know what size the box was allowed to have at the airport and it was really bad luck with the missing tools.
It was very fortunate that my son came here and translated, because otherwise we would hardly have understood anything. :D
We thought you were both very nice too :)

Back