1992 Specialized S-Works Cross

I'm guessing it's full Prestige, but not sure. Where is the frame made? I think the Prestige Stumpjumpers were made in Japan, so assuming this is too?
Pretty sure it was made in Japan like you say. This isn't a "Made in the USA" model, the decal on the top tube simply says "Designed in the USA".

Last minute change of heart, I decided to save the dropbar conversion for later and go with flat bars for now.

The only dropbars I have on hand were probably made for a track bike; the sections where the shifters are supposed to clamp are too narrow. I never could stop them from moving around the bars even with a lot of torque applied... Second problem, all the 1" stems I have in my parts bin are too long. Finally, unless I'm lucky, I know I'll have some issues with road shifters being used with the mountain front derailleur and crankset combo...

Right now, we are in the last couple of weeks of good weather for biking before winter. Plus, the automn colors are gorgeous and there are some rides I would like to do with this bike before everything gets covered in snow. I still want this S-Works to have dropbars, but this will be a project for the winter months. I'll make sure to track my progress in this thread!

This bike was probably used a few times only, everything works flawlessly and the parts barely have scratches on them. The only things I changed were the shifters (not a fan of gripshifts) and the bars (since this bike is on the shorter side for me, I used wider bars with a slight raise).

As expected, this S-Works is both fast and confortable. I had a lot of fun yesterday during my first ride!

20231013_152544.jpg 20231013_152601.jpg 20231018_175504.jpg 20231018_170928.jpg

Back