1992 San Andreas Mountain Cycle

Re: Re:

yakboy":1c33uzmz said:
Got a bit of a play in the rather cold garage last night...(it's grim 'up north)…

Bike stripped and de-stickered….Got to say I love the brushed finish so off into town today to buy some scotchbrite pads.

49628726482_a64694045c_c.jpg

Also stripping the Suspender's (sound's a bit pervy :shock: ) They are 1 1/4" shimmed to a 1" threaded steerer. The headset in the San An is 1 1/8" so was going to have to get a shim and 1 1/8" steerer but when taking out the headset that too has a shim and the San An is a 1 1/4" (still following this), so have to decide whether to go 1 1/4" or 1 1/8" with steerer, headset and stem (obviously 1 1/4" would be more difficult and more expensive)

49627933568_5ec84d1acc_c.jpg

:cool: one of the few bikes that looks just as cool without any parts on.

Think i would run the bike au naturel, all 1-1/4"

The aesthetics of that frame put it in another league

Agree on going inch and quarter (man size) anything else would be plain wrong

Retro Spud":2zjzwai0 said:

Yeah I know it's the right thing to do, just makes it a little more difficult to source what I want but then time is not an issue..

yakboy":1wuq6lgx said:
Retro Spud":1wuq6lgx said:

Yeah I know it's the right thing to do, just makes it a little more difficult to source what I want but then time is not an issue..

What headset would you go for ?

Re:

Just looking for a steerer first! Found one on a Manitou crown in Germany for not too much money but I am surprised you can't buy them new as 1 1/8th alloy steerers are readily available new.
Headset wise it would have to be something I can anodise. 93-94 San Ans's came with Onza Mongo II headsets but as mine was a frame only I can go for anything really,

Re: Re:

yakboy":xjqn13rf said:
Just looking for a steerer first! Found one on a Manitou crown in Germany for not too much money but I am surprised you can't buy them new as 1 1/8th alloy steerers are readily available new.
Headset wise it would have to be something I can anodise. 93-94 San Ans's came with Onza Mongo II headsets but as mine was a frame only I can go for anything really,

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tune-Titan-Gabe ... Hbm6wv6K8w

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Got a couple of things done today. Firstly went to my local Motorsave and got some brown and green Scotchbrite pads and had a little test on the frame...You have to be very strick about the direction you use the pad for the brushed finish but it's going to leave a lovely finish and will take a hell of a lot less time than polishing the Manitou will take.

Second job was to tackle the dents on the non-drive side main monocoque..as shown below

49631726153_c1837953b9_c.jpg

One large one to the right and the smaller one on the left...I purchased a Paintless dent removal kit last year to tackle small dents in my T5 and Split screen and have had some reasonable success so thought I'd try with the San An

After some initial problems getting the hot glue to adhere strongly enough I eventually worked out that using my hot air paint stripper to warm the Ali was the way to go (not recommended on a painted car or bike!!)

49631726003_84d593e65b_c.jpg

For those not familiar with these kits you glue tabs of various sizes over the dents with a hot glue , let it cool and use various slide hammers and pullers to pull the dent out. You have to go gently and it takes many pulls and repositioning of tabs to pull the dent out

49631726048_4facdb8d01_c.jpg

And this is what I have achieved so far, the small dent is just about out(but not quite), the larger dent is much improved but still a bit of work to do

49632512897_c1ee6c108e_c.jpg

I will probably leave it for a few days to get my Mojo back as this is not a job you rush but so far so good, I don't know if I will get the dents out completely but we will see.

Back