1992 Off Road Toad (iconic green)

Just to clarify, the MBA article I posted above was written for the fillet brazed Toad. This article followed two years later, about the new tig welded version: 491ORT1.jpg 491ORT2.jpg 2288081-ibee7lnlpciu-off_roadtoad913v3-large.jpg

My local painter had the frame for around eight months. Luckily I had a few other projects on the go. Very happy with the touch ups, AND the preserved patina. For one thing, it meant I didn't have to worry about mint or NOS parts, especially since I fully intend to ride, crash and dirty it up, proper. 20210428_104012.jpg

WOW.

Score! Can't wait to see where this goes.

I hope in a similar direction to the MBA/Mountain and Beach versions, both of which seem close to perfect to me.

Although, I know little enough about Toads to know that neither are the same frame as yours. Still think it would make a good jumping off point for inspiration...

Hey, maybe you're the guy that outbid me on the WTB/Specialized water bottle by a dollar this morning...

If you are, I guess you'll need another!

I posted that before seeing you'd already updated the thread with the TIG version! Which is lovely too, and I assume closer to where you plan to end up?

I had my eye on that WTB water bottle, but no way I was going to spend $50+! My version of the TIG Toad will be same same but different from MBA. My primary goal was to keep it light, in the spirit and intent of the frame itself. Luckily the painter had it long enough for me to source some cool parts!

The next delay for me was in getting the steerer of the fork extended. Not a big deal in the end of course, just a minor setback. The stem needed new decals as well. Here's the first mock up, which I was really happy with, and haven't changed anything about it. Bars are Merlin titanium, and yes they are wide; extended to 25" for actual riding. :) 20211127_140711.jpg

Jesus, it's a bike already!!!

Looks amazing mate.

And as for that bottle... I got locked in a one-more-bid battle in the final moments.

But I agree, I would have felt foolish spending $50+ on it!

At least I can feel satisfied I made someone else do it tho...

IRD forks and Cook components all look amazing on this.

What's the deal with the stem? Can we see more?

I think I've only ever seen the dogbone version before...

Looking forward to seeing what very black brakes are going on it too!

Latest posts

Back