1991 Stumpjumper Comp, NOS Frame & Fork

Wow, what praise! Thanks!

It's a hoot to ride, the large fence of a frame soaks everything up neatly.

The paint is incredible and impossible to photograph; it's a mad matte metallic pearl with hints of gold & purple in the sun.

Really chuffed with it.

I'm not sure I've seen a nicer looking bike!

If you don't mind me stealing a bit of your design genius, would you be OK to list out all the components you used?

I'm not sure I've seen a nicer looking bike!

If you don't mind me stealing a bit of your design genius, would you be OK to list out all the components you used?

Wow, thanks! Didn't think many purists on here would bite...

Don't mind at all:

Frameset: NOS Stumpjumper Comp 1991
Wheels: Chris King Classic hubs, Rigida Andra 30 CSS (tungsten brake tracks) rims, Sapim Strong spokes
Tyres: Panaracer Gravel King SK 26x2.10
Chainset: White Industries MR30, 40T NW ring
Brakes: Magura HS33, Kool Stop tungsten-specific pads
Derailleur: XT M8000 medium cage
Cassette: XT CS-M8000, 11-42T
Shifter: XT M8000 I-Spec II
Headset: Chris King GripNut 1"
Spacers: Chris King 1"
Bars: Nitto Bullmoose RB901RX
Grips: Oury classic
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2
Binder: Odyssey Svelte, Ti bolt
Saddle: Brooks C17S
Pedals: DMR V12

Wow, thanks! Didn't think many purists on here would bite...

Don't mind at all:

Frameset: NOS Stumpjumper Comp 1991
Wheels: Chris King Classic hubs, Rigida Andra 30 CSS (tungsten brake tracks) rims, Sapim Strong spokes
Tyres: Panaracer Gravel King SK 26x2.10
Chainset: White Industries MR30, 40T NW ring
Brakes: Magura HS33, Kool Stop tungsten-specific pads
Derailleur: XT M8000 medium cage
Cassette: XT CS-M8000, 11-42T
Shifter: XT M8000 I-Spec II
Headset: Chris King GripNut 1"
Spacers: Chris King 1"
Bars: Nitto Bullmoose RB901RX
Grips: Oury classic
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2
Binder: Odyssey Svelte, Ti bolt
Saddle: Brooks C17S
Pedals: DMR V12

Thanks very much for that, that's some component list you've got there. Hope you don't mind another question...

I was thinking about putting 650b rims & 42c tires on mine, which should be about the same overall diameter as your 26'' rims & 2.1 tires.

Is there much wiggle room on those Magura brakes to accommodate 650b diameter rims?

Cheers, Richard

Is there much wiggle room on those Magura brakes to accommodate 650b diameter rims?

I think the front might reach but no chance on the rear unless the bosses are moved.

A pair of sliding adjustable V-brakes like the Paul Motolites would do the trick for you.

Although I’d stick to 26”; what makes you want to swap?

...what makes you want to swap?
No overriding reason really, just with the complete lack of stock anywhere I thought it might give me a few different options for rims to start building up the wheels. Will probably stick with 26'' though like you say. Can't actually see myself being able to do much on it until components start coming available again towards the end of the year.

It's an inspiring build - it's not always about period-correct! Did the 11-speed cassette fit easily on the Chris King hub? I might give something similar a try.

I've managed to put aside my view on what an old mtb should like like for long enough to appreciate what you've done with this. Great choice of parts and it's clearly been built up to serve a purpose. I'll bet it's lovely to ride.

I keep bidding on those WI chainsets on ebay but always seem to be the 2nd highest bidder!

It's an inspiring build - it's not always about period-correct! Did the 11-speed cassette fit easily on the Chris King hub? I might give something similar a try.

I've managed to put aside my view on what an old mtb should like like for long enough to appreciate what you've done with this. Great choice of parts and it's clearly been built up to serve a purpose. I'll bet it's lovely to ride.

I keep bidding on those WI chainsets on ebay but always seem to be the 2nd highest bidder!

Thanks! The thought of getting lynched on here for 'resto-modding' a NOS frame like this did cross my mind, so your appreciation is much appreciated.

This 11-speed cassette has 'MTB' cog spacing, so will fit on any 8-speed onwards freehub.

It's turned out to be a perfect cushy cruiser, the huge Tange Prestige frame is nice & zingy on tarmac and gravel.

The chainset was a nearly-new bargain impulse buy off yank Ebay, so keep looking, they do sometimes end up going for less than retail!

Back