1991 Scott Pro-Evolution... Updated

Re:

It Lives!!! :D :D :D

Proper ride and some pics to follow tomorrow, but for now here's the specs:

----------------------------------------------------

Frame:Scott Pro-Evolution cro-moly steel (Renovated by Bob Jackson Cycles in Leeds).

Fork:Scott/ Marzocchi, air/oil

Headset: Ritchey Logic
Stem: Scott steel
Handlebar: Scott Steel
Grips: Ritchey WCS foam
Barends: none

Brakes: Shimano LX M56?
Brake Pads: Swisstop RAT (green)
Brake Cables: Jagwire CEX
Cantilever cable hangers: Suntour
Brake Levers:Shimano LX M560

Shifters: Shimano LX M560
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX M563
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX M550
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire LEX
Cassette: Shimano HG?? 11-28T
Chain: Shimano IG
Cranks: Shimano LX M550
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano Bipace 48/38/28T
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN26
Pedals: Halfords Black resin, with built in LED's!! :LOL:

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic X517, 32 Hole
Hubs: Front: Shimano LX M560/ Rear Shimano XT M732
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Plain Guage, stainless
Tyres: Ritchey Z-Max Evolution 2.1/ Charge Splashback 1.8/ Specialized Fatboy 1.25
Tubes: unknown

Saddle: Charge Bucket
Seatpost: Scott
Seatpost Binder: Scott

Weight:29.5lbs with Ritchey tyres.

Re:

So today I took the bike for it's "shakedown" ride, no point fannying about riding up and down the street, it was off to some decent trails, black route included,to see what this bike was made of! :D

I had a great time, there were zero mechanicals, and the wheels I rebuilt a couple of days ago kept their shape despite me getting air between ground and wheels on more than one occasion :twisted: The LX kit was workmanlike and performed flawlesly.

The only teething problem was a horrible sounding top-out "clunk" on the forks, I'll play with the air pressure, and maybe strip them down at some point to see how much oil is atually in there!

I have to say I wasn't "blown away" by the ride of the frame, for sure the back end felt stiff, but apart from that it didnt feel like anything special or feel especially quick... however, Strava tells a different story, after the ride I was surprised to find I had 13 achievements and several Personal Records :shock: mostly on climbs, but a few were on twisty/flowing singltrack sections.
This is a route I've done many a time on my modern full-suspension bike, and I was honestly expecting the 23 year old Scott to be behind on every section.
Just shows how wrong you can be :)

Anyway, pics...

I'd resprayed the bars, stem,seatpost & forks myself with a rattlcan of black paint and some clear laquer, seems to have come up a treat :)

And what it looks like with Spin wheels & slicks.... :cool:

Re:

Good work !

Pleased you got it finished and managed to enjoy the fruits of your efforts before winter sets in ;)
Hope you set even more fastest times mate

Mike

Re:

Tried some 1.8 Charge Splashbacks on for size today, look good (more in keeping with the venerable age of the bike), and ride pretty well too as they grip well in the corners.

I did more or less the same route as my last ride on this bike, and can you believe it... out of 15 Strava segments I set 7 PR's today :shock: beating previous PR's set aboard my modern bike (and I'm guessing that most of the others on the Strava segment leaderboards were riding more modern bikes too?).

I doesn't seem to make sense :? , but I think I put more effort in when riding the Scott, it's quite rewarding to ride it on the ragged edge, and is easily doable even for me, whereas on my modern full-sus bike I'd have to be going a LOT faster to truly be on the edge with it, and I'd run out of talent before the bike did :LOL:

The Scott is getting some Schwalbe Marathon tyres for the short commute to work, and for some road miles since I've recently sold my road bike. But I'll definately be getting out on it off-road a few times a month at least :D

Re: 1991 Scott Pro-Evolution Updated!! 3/9/14

Loving it with the amber walls. Strava never lies! Keep at it.

They do ride very well , that "nice" feel to them

This is mine

P1020803.jpg

Mike

Re:

Hey mikee, what year is yours? I have the Scott Jersey that matches that colourscheme!

legrandefromage":1xggbicz said:
AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

Ghost!

Definitely a bit ghostly out on the hills today.... :shock:

And muddy...

Another good ride, this time on much rougher terrain, and this is where the shortfalls of 40mm travel up front and zero travel at the rear become apparent.

Still, had a good ride, comedy moment was when I cycled past two bikers stoodby the side of the trail, both looked, then did a double take like "WTF is he riding?!". :LOL:

Latest posts

Back