1991 Rocky Mountain Experience

for what it's worth, Gil's decals are amazing. He sends extras of the head tube logos but the smaller of the two is the one that is the correct size for the factory original on the head tube and the seat tube.

Some folks put the larger one on the head tube but it's all personal preference.

You will NOT be disappointed by the quality of those decals.

bagpipes":1t4kg4km said:
for what it's worth, Gil's decals are amazing. He sends extras of the head tube logos but the smaller of the two is the one that is the correct size for the factory original on the head tube and the seat tube.

Some folks put the larger one on the head tube but it's all personal preference.

You will NOT be disappointed by the quality of those decals.

I've had his decals before and yes, they are very good. We are trying to get the decals perfect as the ones that Sinnett used aren't right - the experience text was the font style that was in the catalogue rather than what's on the bikes. In this way anyone else wanting them later on will get more accurate ones. :-D

Rubbish drawings of decals for Gil picture:

:-D

1f08dc21.jpg

I initially wasn't wanting vinyl cut decals but Gil's stuff is so good I was going to get them anyway. However on closer inspection of the decals on the bike already they seem to be vinyl cut but with an overlay to protect them which runs about 1 cm more than the decals themselves. I found this as I was running my finger along them and could clearly feel the outline of the letters - so they obviously can't be printed on one large clear bit of vinyl (AFAIK).

So what I'll do is apply the Gil-dals (Gil decals, geddit? coat, got it!) then carefully cut, the same size as is on the bike now, a thin layer of heli-tape to stick over them. As close as I can get to the original, and I know they won't fade to pink within 5 mins of letting them see sunlight!! :roll: :LOL:

Still need some bits, but forks haven't arrived yet. :-(

You've forgotten the fork decals, Gil should have them as I remebr taking photos of the ones on my rocky (fusion) and measuring to get an idea

FluffyChicken":3awhwwq5 said:
You've forgotten the fork decals, Gil should have them as I remebr taking photos of the ones on my rocky (fusion) and measuring to get an idea

He's got them already, see the proof on the previous page. I didn't have them to measure so they aren't on my drawing.

Rob Atkin":2qhon6q2 said:
RockiMtn":2qhon6q2 said:
you sure it's the largest 34.9mm clamp size you need? i'd check again. :?

Just checked it last night and yes, its 34.9mm I need.

my bad, for some reason i thought it was 31.8mm. :?

I don't get this gibberish you are talking about the decals They are indeed done on one sheet and it would be all of them and then each part would be diecut. They are screen printed in layers, one pass for each colour. What you are feeling is the ink printed on the vinyl. Earlier RMs had the Rocky Mountain text diecut as one piece. I just discovered the later ones, like on my 95 Blizzard I just got, each letter for Rocky Mountain are diecut separately.

If you are worried about fading, I'd ask Gil to see if he offers applying a UV coating, instead of trying to put yet another layer of something on top, which wouldn't be as clean, and may end up messy.

Run out of cash for this project so there might be a delay until any more progress is made.

Thanks all for watching, hopefully will be back on it soon. :-/

Sold some stuff so have ordered:

Seatpost
Decals

FluffyChicken is sending me a RM stem which is just perfect.

Decisions to be made on the shifters still. And pedals. And headset.

Still got a problem with the forks but hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Back