1991 Rocky Mountain Experience

I had a look at the frame tonight to see if I could bring the finish up a bit better. I don't want it polished as I think that looks a bit tacky and doesn't suit the nature of the bike anyway. I think the standard finish was natural aluminium, so not polished but not heavily brushed or anything.

It came to me a little tarnished, with brown bits around the welds and a generally dulled look to it. There are some small nicks and scrapes as you would expect from a 20 year old frame but nothing too bad. Certainly hasn't been abused.

I had a go with a light Scotchbrite pad and it seemed to come up quite well.
1c249a1d.jpg

4b2023d8.jpg

I was going to leave the original decals on but I'm not so sure now. As they are one big decal rather than individual letters there is a large amount of clear vinyl. Underneath this the metal is quite dull and it really stands out compared to the newly scotchbrited metal. Hopefully this pic shows that.

ad3bb0bc.jpg

It looks a bit naff.

So I'm not sure what to do now. It'll defiantly look better with new decals but it's a shame to get rid of the originals.

At least the tubing info decal looks good, all the others are badly faded (in the case of the lettering) or partly missing (headtube decal for example).

I think it will look really sharp with freshly brushed aluminum and new decals. I understand the desire to have it as original as possible, but decals on mountain bikes just aren't designed to last 20+ years. I think everyone will forgive you if you strip off the old crusty decals, brush that frame up beautifully, and restore it as best you can. :cool:

Cheers

classen":3eomkewh said:
I think it will look really sharp with freshly brushed aluminum and new decals. I understand the desire to have it as original as possible, but decals on mountain bikes just aren't designed to last 20+ years. I think everyone will forgive you if you strip off the old crusty decals, brush that frame up beautifully, and restore it as best you can. :cool:

Cheers

+1!

They've all lost their colour and as you can replace them easily then you may as well do so. you have the luxury of them not being under the paint finish.

A thin vinyl or similar will look good. The thick ones look out of place in my opinion.

I will check that stem :oops:

Just need a seatpost (I know which one, available easily), front mech (neef a bottom pull DX one) and stem (fluffychicken?) now.

And decals

And those gripshifts too.

Actually that's quite a lot. Sigh. :roll:

What#s the band size on these the middle one ?

I'd go top pull myself and remove the wheel. The wheels are good for collecting mud though.

The seatpost is a 30.4 one, so add a few mm for the tubing thickness and it's probably the largest size - 35mm ish? Can't remember the exact size at the moment.

Going to use the pulley so I need bottom pull. They look better anyway.

RockiMtn":22rtp56n said:
you sure it's the largest 34.9mm clamp size you need? i'd check again. :?

Oh cack. I put in a cheeky offer on the front mech and I didn't think they'd accept it. Serves me right!

I'll check tonight.

Back