1991 Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega, 2010's 1991 Make over Page3

Thanks, I'm not sold on the shark bites either, no wonder they were cheap! Plus you NEED shin pads, hmm. Saddle is tad steep you are right.You guys are good at spotting these things. Right; Adjust saddle, pump tyres up (ya didn't spot that ;) ) and maybe a couple links, pack bag, drink cider, go to bed! :)

EEEK...A year on! :LOL:

It got Christened at Cutgate last year.
3475857757_6918671627.jpg

literally! :LOL:
3476575326_3f385b91f3.jpg

3476681436_1e8d1442e8.jpg

Pics with much thanks to P20 from here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66452821@N ... 251132413/

Then...
I fitted some compromise bars, tyres and modern saddle and took it to Isle of Wight last August. Leisurely stuff really but some unfinished business there...
DSC00131.jpg

:cool:

It hung around in storage since then. Next project was meant to be my Orange for this spring but with the temptation of doing Cutgate again to get me back into riding off road a bit more regular on the retro, It was time to rebuild the beloved Muddy Fox with the bits I've been nest Egging for its make over! :cool:

BRB with new build and specs...

➡️

One more from IOW with the bosses bike too!
MuddyFoxMakeoverApr015.jpg

New Spec - Period make over, only a couple hidden shhh modern components now!

Frame: 1991 Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega Hand built MEGA Cro-mo. Internally and externally butted, ovalised and cuboid tubing sections.

Fork: Muddy fox matching Cro-mo

Headset: Ritchey logic NOS
Stem: Tioga T bone Avenger 130mm with rise
Handlebar: Muddy Fox standard alloy logo bars
Grips: Onza Ules in black
Barends: Nope!

Brakes: Shimano Deore LX M454 in lovely matt black NOS
Brake Pads: Shimano NOS
Brake Cables: Shimano Braided 2mm with matching 6mm outer, ferrules and end caps!
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore chunky 2 finger polished

Shifters: Deore thumbies
Front Derailleur: Deore LX M550
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX M550 pimped with SRP gold
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Deore LX 7 Speed
Chain: SRAM 870
Cranks: Shimano 500LX M500
Crank Bolts: SRP Alloy (for now)
Chainrings: Shimano originals 500lx on 24, and 46, race face machined 36er
Chainring bolts: SRP Gold alloy
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT? UN73?
Pedals: Wellgo M20/Gusset Inca/other

Hub Skewers: Halo Porkes in gold
Rims: Mavic 221 Goldy bronzy
Hubs: Shimano LX Paralex
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Ritchey Megabite or Ritchey Z-Max
Tubes: mixture

Saddle: Ritchey Logic Comp NOS
Seatpost: Syncros Hardcore
Seatpost Binder: original Muddy Fox

Weight: was about 28.5lbs about 29 now I think.

MuddyFoxMakeoverApr002.jpg

MuddyFoxMakeoverApr004.jpg

The Boy sold me this T bone, despite starting with a short one I wasn't sure what to do with it, despite being a 130 stretch, the standard back sweep MF bars should give a nice comfy controllable ride...
MuddyFoxMakeoverApr005.jpg

No bar ends this time, ultimate control on the knarly downhill stuff on this trail bike. Is this better than the Gold USE bars? I never trusted em 100% and reckon this bike needs the back sweep?
Polished Shimano levers and I had some nicer thumbies in stock so those replaced old set up. All new bars set up ;)

MuddyFoxMakeoverApr008.jpg

These got the nostalgia going, NOS black Deore LX brakes, these came with silver uns as standard, so a nice feature I thought and nice contrast. 2mm PHAT cables bought off fredgassit? on here, and matched up with 6mm outers ferrules also from RB and caps from my LBS. Nice loving this set up. :cool:
MuddyFoxMakeoverApr012.jpg

MuddyFoxMakeoverApr011.jpg

NOS Ritchey perch, probably more fitting on this bike than the Flite, fits in with other Ritchey components, looks right, plus I found the new spec Flite very boney on my boney butt! no idea what era it is, guessing correct era...
MuddyFoxMakeoverApr014.jpg

I thought I had winning pedal ideas for this, both modern but retroesque platforms, it was either Bronze Gusset Slim Jims, or DMR V12s in Chrome and gold pins. Slim Jims were less bling choice. However colour was all wrong! :oops: :LOL:
MuddyFoxMakeoverApr017.jpg

More Browny Reddy metallic bronze like The Fall Guy truck than yellowy goldy bronze, never mind those can go on my Orange BMX... :D
MuddyFoxMakeoverApr007.jpg

Chrome and silver would have been too much so these Wellgos went on that I bought last week for the Orange build. Super svelte at half the weight :eek: They look great with scheme but I am worried about shoe slippage...
Also Note new period correct front mech, the first upgrade I got!

MuddyFoxMakeoverApr001.jpg

So there ya go. I get to test it and make it mucky as hell tomorrow!!

Cheers to all who really helped

I loved the paint job on these, so much so that there was one on the bay for £60 BIN that is all original that's now mine.
Should make an awesome commuter as my new job is partly based in the smoke.

Carl.

yeah - this looks great - loving the evolution to its current state.

I remember the two page add's for these BITD - pretty ahead of its time given all the tube manipulation these days, cool paint too - you don't get that anymore.

Back