1991 koga miyata Gents racer carbolite

carbolite

Retro Newbie
Dear all,
I was thinking of buying a second-hand bike, and I stumbled upon a 1991 koga miyata Gents racer carbolite with No.2 tubing (sic). Now, I'm a complete beginner at road riding on a race bike but this bike looks amazing - although admittedly very old. It's a rusty brown colour with a leather saddle and gold (?) inlay in several places on the frame. It looks totally unique and cool and retro. Problem is, I just want to exercise and do some cycling at the weekend with a club. My question is to you experts, if I may, is whether you would recommend this bike? Or is it more of a collector's item, and not for regular use? The price of the bike is pretty high at around 900 dollars, so I can't really buy it if it can't be used for some semi-vigorous training. I don't have the budget to buy the Koga AND a regular training bike. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Carbolite,

I happen to have a 1991 GentsRacer Carbolite.

It used carbon tubing for front triangle, aluminum tubing for rear triangle and lugs are aluminum. Not Tange Champion No.2 steel.

Colour is clear over carbon for main tubing (black) and black with glitter particles for lugs and tail. Decals are gold coloured.

The bike you are considering sounds like another bike to me. You have pics?

Back