1991 GT Tequesta

^ Is there anything to destinguish between the two years? I thought I read somewhere that the splatter paint was only on the 1992-1993 Tequestas?

It's a shame you decided to strip it. Those early splatter paint jobs were fantastic and very easy to repair with a bit of touch up paint. The splatter is great for disguising all but the sloppiest of repairs.

Anyway it is indeed a 1991 Tequesta.

The 1991, 1992 and 1993 GT catalogues are here amongst others: ---> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=10499

i agree with dsp , i have the same 91 model in purple haize
IMAG0380.jpg

Wow, all this time I thought it was a '92. Thanks for the info. Funny how I got used to calling it a 1992 GT Tequesta and I was incorrect the whole time.

You guys are making me feel so bad about stripping the paint off. Maybe I should have found this site before going ahead with painting it. I can't reverse what I've done, and I do like the way the white paint came out, so for the purists I apologize, but I personally really like the new look and can live with it much better than the original paint scheme.

Does anyone know where I could get period correct decals for it? At least that would reconnect it to it's original time period.

pm Gil_M on here, he might be able to help you. he is the guru of reproduction decals. he has done some amazing work, the decals on my Zaskar are made by Gil.

drystonepaul":2vsuph67 said:
It's a shame you decided to strip it. Those early splatter paint jobs were fantastic and very easy to repair with a bit of touch up paint. The splatter is great for disguising all but the sloppiest of repairs.

Anyway it is indeed a 1991 Tequesta.

The 1991, 1992 and 1993 GT catalogues are here amongst others: ---> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=10499

Thanks for the link to the catalogs. That is definitely my bike shown in it. I was calling it the wrong color as well. Guess it was actually called "Moody Blue".

I know my bike doesn't fit in with a lot of restorations here, but I still feel I rescued it from just sitting around and rusting away, so I'm pleased with it's single speed conversion. There is a part of me that regrets stripping the splatter paint away though.

Gil_M didn't have '91 Tequesta decals, so I went with some NOS GT Aggressor decals that match the '94 Tequesta decals minus the top tube "Tequesta" piece. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find that single decal, but I'm happy with the new decals. I'm waiting on a NOS Tange sticker to put on the bottom of the seat post tube as well.

Next on the list is a period correct saddle to replace the temporary WTB one on there. I might also add some color with some yellow YETI grips.

1991GTTequestawithDecals.jpg

He doesn't have Tequesta decals on file so they'd be expensive i reckon.
I asked him cos the decals on my 92 Tequesta were a bit ropey but i touched them in using acrylic paint.
45e67040.jpg

c53c3884.jpg

Looks better now
4ced9c45.jpg

Won't apologise for keeping posting these pics - I love my Tequesta and I love it's paint job.
Mine is definitely a 92 cos I remember buying one in 92. :-D

I've been following your build. Great job touching the decals up. I wish I had joined the site before stripping the paint and tried preserving it like you did. Live and learn.

I have a vinyl cutter at my disposal at work, so I might buy some black vinyl and recreate the Tequesta script. Benefits of being a graphic/product designer. :cool:

By the way, been checking out prices on original Turbo seats and wow they're expensive!!! Yikes!

Back