1991 Brodie Sovereign

No, the front is definitely the Paul Touring Canti. Linked above.

The Neo Retro is similar, and, like a Mafac, has the much wider profile.

Anyway, I agree on the stem colour, although it still has an offbeat charm I like! That said, the Brodie replacement in the works should help tie everything back together.

Definitely agree the bike has a pleasing mutt/works vibe as it stands right now.

Those are the best bikes in my opinion, and I love riding it like this.

love the effort you are putting into this (and all your other builds), as real passion project.

How do you like the humptulips? I was thinking of some, but couldn't get past the price & given the bike was far from period correct, I ended up with nobby nics...

love the effort you are putting into this (and all your other builds), as real passion project.

How do you like the humptulips? I was thinking of some, but couldn't get past the price & given the bike was far from period correct, I ended up with nobby nics...
They remind me of Onza porcs.

Absolutely love them.

Now, two things to consider:

1. The tread pattern doesn't offer much in the way of sidewall traction, so I still feel a little less confident on them on high speed corners than a traditional MTB tire, but that said, I've had no problems at all, and have hit my usual routes with just as much gusto as normal.

2. The cost. They're certainly ridiculously priced, but if you're putting them on something you don't batter, or maybe is more of a slow-and-sterady cruiser, I think they're an excellent choice. I'm an idiot and will probably end up with them on all my regular riders, as they're super comfortable, and I think have a much nicer profile and design to pretty much any other modern gumwall tire. Or any that I've found, yet!

A set of Smoke and Dart repros is probably the sensible alternative, but riding and buying the same thing over and over again gets boring!

That said, I've tried them on several of my bikes now, and like them on each, so can see myself continuing to purchase and ride them moving forward! They really are a great off-road tire. Maybe just not on the most technical or rugged terrain.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about the passion I put into my bikes and threads.

I'm glad it comes across.

Although I'm aware it can probably come off as a bit much to a lot of people, too. Especially those a lot deeper into the game than I!

My threads do tend to go on and on, but the thing is: I get an insane amount of pleasure doing this. I can't emphasize enough how much enjoyment these bikes give me, and talking about them with people, in real life or on here, is as much a part of all that as hunting down the parts, building and riding them. Making these threads and talking about the process involved is a nice way to bookmark the memories for myself later down the line, too.

I'm sure a lot of people would just prefer a Here's What I Bought and Here's How It Looks Now type of deal, but that's just not really my style!

Back