1991 Brodie Sovereign

Great bike and a great story. I’ve been watching pretty much all of Paul Brodie’s back catalogue on YouTube while I’m off work. Probably said it before somewhere else but he makes fascinating and engaging films on there - you really end up feeling like you’ve picked up something interesting. Makes me want to own a Brodie bike but suspect that’s not going to happen. Also to reply personally to your enquiry is lovely - over the years when I’ve acquired frames made by folk still in business here in the UK - let’s just say some of them aren’t as helpful if they even reply at all!

Also to reply personally to your enquiry is lovely - over the years when I’ve acquired frames made by folk still in business here in the UK - let’s just say some of them aren’t as helpful if they even reply at all!
Paul IS Canadian after all. It is in our blood. I have had interaction with the Senior Product Manager Brodie, I was just trying to get info on a used frame, they had no money to gain from me, but he was as friendly and helpful as can be. I did my best not to geek out that I was in conversation with former Canadian road and mountain bike champion, Bruce Spicer!

Last edited:
Nice write up Phil, the excitement and pure joy of the experience really comes through.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics. Oh, I'm in the "put it back to pink" camp :cool:

Cheers mate.

You know, some bikes are just bikes, and some bikes just feel different and special for whatever reason. And maybe not to everybody, but to the person that owns and rides them. Which is what makes this whole thing of ours special, I think.

This bike ticks pretty much every box for me, so it's hard not to get excited about it.

It's a Top 5 Wishlist bike.

(Actually number five on the list of bikes I wanted to track down!)

It's from the original owner.

It has a cool backstory.

And it's almost exactly the right size for me (for a change)!

Anyway, I know the changes I'm making and the ones I'm not. Which means, sadly for those of you in the pink camp, paint isn't one of them right now.

I'm not ruling it out one day, but cost and time and my desire to ride the bike means that for now the black stays.

Great bike and a great story. I’ve been watching pretty much all of Paul Brodie’s back catalogue on YouTube while I’m off work. Probably said it before somewhere else but he makes fascinating and engaging films on there - you really end up feeling like you’ve picked up something interesting. Makes me want to own a Brodie bike but suspect that’s not going to happen. Also to reply personally to your enquiry is lovely - over the years when I’ve acquired frames made by folk still in business here in the UK - let’s just say some of them aren’t as helpful if they even reply at all!

Yeah, his Youtube videos are all amazing. I've spent hours watching him rebuild motorbikes I have zero interest in!

He's seemingly a lovely, talented, and enthusiastic guy.

And it was certainly great to get things confirmed from him directly.

And quickly, too!

Paul IS Canadian after all. It is in our blood. I have had interaction with the Senior Product Manager Brodie, I was just trying to get info on a used frame, they had no money to gain from me, but he was as friendly and helpful as can be. I did my best not to geek out that I was in conversation with former Canadian road and mountain bike champion, Bruce Spicer!
If i remember correctly he made one of the nicest covers of Mountain Biking, riding a Rocky MOuntain Altitude in red and yellow.

Cheers mate.

You know, some bikes are just bikes, and some bikes just feel different and special for whatever reason. And maybe not to everybody, but to the person that owns and rides them. Which is what makes this whole thing of ours special, I think.

This bike ticks pretty much every box for me, so it's hard not to get excited about it.

It's a Top 5 Wishlist bike.

(Actually number five on the list of bikes I wanted to track down!)

It's from the original owner.

It has a cool backstory.

And it's almost exactly the right size for me (for a change)!

Anyway, I know the changes I'm making and the ones I'm not. Which means, sadly for those of you in the pink camp, paint isn't one of them right now.

I'm not ruling it out one day, but cost and time and my desire to ride the bike means that for now the black stays.
Black is a natural Brodie color and a very ridable color.

Black is a natural Brodie color and a very ridable color.

That's my feeling too Prodigal.

Except in dusty, Southern California, of course!

On the rides I've taken it on already, I've been shocked by how dirty it looks compared to all my others at the end of a ride!

Back