1990 Team Marin - Resto thread

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
P9073865.JPG P9073866.JPG
Bought this the other week, been using it as a commuter but this morning I stripped it all down and was able to better assess the task ahead. The plan is to restore it to its original state, it arrived mostly original but was missing some items.

The Good
The saddle is in excellent shape, as are the stem and forks, a few signs of wear, light scuffs etc but overall not too bad. The frame is OK, there are several problem areas but it's all cosmetic, no serious rust, no dents, all the threads are fine. The chainset is in great shape too, I think it's the original seatpost and it's not too shabby, just needs some TLC. Pedals are original and in great nick as are the front and rear derailleurs, although they'll need a good clean and service.

The not so good
I have the original bars but they are in a very sorry state, unless I manage to source a nice replacement then these are going to need a lot of work. The XT headset had been switched for a Ritchey, I've already sorted that. The wheels are also incorrect, I've picked up a set of the original Araya/XT's which are in reasonable shape but will need a bit of a work. The rear cassette will need to be sourced as will a locknut for the bottom bracket, (Please let me know if you have either to spare). I also managed to source a pair of Marin Rockstar tyres in excellent condition as well as brake levers and shifters which in better cosmetic condition than those that came with the bike.

Of course decals will be needed too ;)

First things first - the frame.
P9184097.JPG P9184098.JPG P9184099.JPG P9184100.JPG P9184101.JPG P9184102.JPG

Probably the most challenging aspect of this project, what's good is great but what's bad is dreadful. I'm keen to hear from anyone who's had any experience restoring these old zolatone frames, I imagine it's going to be very difficult to replicate that finish convincingly, but maybe I'm wrong about that. As far as options go it's either a touching in job or a complete new paintjob, I'd really like to preserve the paint if possible, but if touching in is going to leave ugly patches then maybe a new coat will give a better end result, keen to hear any opinions on this.

Last edited:
I don't envy anybody with choice to repaint or 'scrub up best you can'.
Ive yet to see a 99% good repro of zolatone 90 or 91.
If its a keeper, I'd keep as it us, all ugliness included. Could be partially covered when you rebuild it all. On the other hand, if you can redo some sort of stoney grey that won't be brashey, then you have a chance of a convincing finish.
The two zolatone years mark a survivor's title for the bikes...seem to clean up ok.
I love the olde thick brake cables.
Cheers.

I’m an advocate of making the best of what it is, only original once! It’s surprising how much will be covered up by decals and components which stops the eye being drawn.
A really good clean and the right paint match touched in and it will look amazing and less outlay/effort! I’ve seen paint pens used to good effect on smaller touch in areas, if you can get a good enough colour match (though possibly it won’t be the same texture as zolotone) the precise application using a pen means it doesn’t stand out or stand proud like a small brush. It’s more precise than cocktail stick type application. Something like this but there are cheaper available https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Painting-Scratch-Loew-Cornell/dp/B07GXZ9GPJ

Thanks for all your thoughts on the frame, will more than likely keep it original and investigate the best ways to address the problem areas.

Started cleaning up the silverware
P9194115.JPG
So far the bits are coming up nicely, but there's always room for improvement, I'll attack the cranks with wet and dry before polishing them up. The cantis, derailleurs and various nuts and bolts are currently soaking in Vapo rust following their degreasing.

And here are the bars...
P9194116.JPG P9194117.JPG
I'm sure you see what I mean when I say they're going to need a lot of work, probably as complete strip, sand, polish and repaint, so finding the exact match is another challenge.

I've just finished restoring two of these. One is as close to original spec as possible minus the tyres and grips and the other has a few tweeks and cosmetic upgrades.

Agree with the above comments regarding the zolatone paint. Just give it a good scrub with some degreaser & dont try to replicate it because it will never look right! (personal opinion). I like patina on a bike, it means you can use it without worrying about damaging it!
I had to get the pink parts professionally resprayed in neon magenta on one of the builds because the previous owner had them resprayed the wrong shade of pink. The other Marin's pink parts are original but have faded overtime, hence the slight difference in colour.
I used velocals for replacement decals as i found these to be the closest match for size and font type but i was also lucky enough to have some original Marin decals as well that i had kept hold of for a build like this.
I keep meaning to update the build thread for mine but i just need to get some decent pics first!

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_170005.jpg
    IMG_20210612_170005.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210612_165828_1.jpg
    IMG_20210612_165828_1.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 105
I've just finished restoring two of these. One is as close to original spec as possible minus the tyres and grips and the other has a few tweeks and cosmetic upgrades.

Agree with the above comments regarding the zolatone paint. Just give it a good scrub with some degreaser & dont try to replicate it because it will never look right! (personal opinion). I like patina on a bike, it means you can use it without worrying about damaging it!
I had to get the pink parts professionally resprayed in neon magenta on one of the builds because the previous owner had them resprayed the wrong shade of pink. The other Marin's pink parts are original but have faded overtime, hence the slight difference in colour.
I used velocals for replacement decals as i found these to be the closest match for size and font type but i was also lucky enough to have some original Marin decals as well that i had kept hold of for a build like this.
I keep meaning to update the build thread for mine but i just need to get some decent pics first!
Lovely mate, where did you get the pink bits done? Is the front one or the rear one original?

Latest posts

Back