1990 Saracen Kili Flyer Competition

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1990 Saracen Kili Flyer Competition

<--- RESERVED FOR COMPLETED BIKE --->

I had for a long time been gathering a full Shimano XTII M730/732 groupset in black for this 1990 Kili Flyer Comp frameset which I picked up several years ago. I was never that enthusiastic about building it up with all that black as I felt the colour didn't really suit it.
So after getting my hands on a 1989 Kili Flyer Competition a choice was made : --> 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer Competition

The 1990 Kili Flyer Comp is built with Tange Prestige tubing and finished with British Racing Green epoxy powdercoat.
It is in very good condition.

Here are some pictures taken just today after I'd wiped all the dust off it:

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_01.jpg

After ditching the idea of using black components as specified in the catalogue, I have decided to instead use the more common silver variants.
Not only that, but I will more than likely go with perhaps my favourite groupset too. Shimano Deore DX M650 and MT-62 is excellent and understated and bang on for what I consider to be the very best period in mountain biking.
I have a complete DX groupset or two knocking around so it'll just be a case of finding it all and selecting the most appropriate parts based on condition and the manufacturers date stamps.
Probably.

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_02.jpg

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_03.jpg

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_04.jpg

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_05.jpg

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_catalogue.jpg

More to follow...

A brief update on this one as it freefalls down the forum pages into obscurity.

A package arrived from Japan earlier today with something now planned for this build.

90Kili-Flyer-Comp_06.jpg 90Kili-Flyer-Comp_07.jpg 90Kili-Flyer-Comp_08.jpg

The Shimano Deore XT ST-M091 Rapidfire STI units only existed for the 1990 model year before the equally short lived ST-M092 units replaced them in 1991.
They probably represent the very worst of the under bar XT shifters, lacking the cool little window for watching the SLR Plus braking mechanism in the 1991 units and the superior push-pull shifting of the ST-M095 Rapidfire Plus introduced in 1992.
But in the spirit of period correct, original spec, they are what I've painstakingly sourced at great personal and emotional expense.

If just one person 'likes' this post then perhaps it will be worth it...

Always thought the 90 Saracen collection a bit odd as it passed me by completely bitd. Think it's because my LBS still had 89's in stock well in to 1990 and then stopped selling the brand. Next time I saw Saracen's was the 91's in Keighley.

This looks great in green and I agree on the silver rather than black. I take it the frame isn't filet brazed? 89 Kili (not comp) was, wasn't it?

Just for the record, I am watching this, to me this was a great year for saracens, pierced top tube, super long stems and their wild decals were so great, Just make sure you go for the black groupset and you'll get another like ;)

Just for the record, I am watching this, to me this was a great year for saracens, pierced top tube, super long stems and their wild decals were so great, Just make sure you go for the black groupset and you'll get another like ;)
Great to have on board for the journey. It may still take a while and you may be disappointed if you really want the full black XT groupset...

But I am indecisive so who knows.

Latest posts

Back