1990 Saracen Eiger Comp "Gravel"

kipperthedog

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, having spotted it being Karma'd here by Dale Cannon. It is in remarkably good order, a few chips but thats all, and some discolouring of the powercoat where the is presumably a little but of corrosion going on underneath.

I had a fancy for a road biased mtb build, for which I wanted a long top tube. At 58cm in the top tube and 52cm in the seat tube this fits the bill.

It isn't going to be a factory spec rebuild and it won't be a purists delight! I do however want to keep the appearance of the original black components throughout as far as possible. The wheels I had hanging around and have disc hubs but a braking surface rimwhich is unused so no wear, and are black so a good start. The handlebars are the original Saracen alloy ones, the stem is a Velocity 125mm and the saddle and Deore derailleur are scavenged from a friends parts bin. I have black seat post on the way to swap for the silver one. The rest of the spec is up in the air, though I do want to put canti's on it but finding black ones might be a long job...may have to improvise with a rattle can!

Attachments

• 20200315_171653.jpg
    20200315_171653.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,561
Re: 1990 Saracen Eiger Competition

You need black cantis? Anything or fussy?

Re:

I could probably dig out some black LX canti's if any use? Also some matching levers/shifter. They're certainly not mint but in decent useable condition so contact me if you want me to dig them out.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":5nldywt4 said:
I could probably dig out some black LX canti's if any use? Also some matching levers/shifter. They're certainly not mint but in decent useable condition so contact me if you want me to dig them out.

Pm'd

Re:

I managed 10 minutes in the garage last night with this for the first time in days. The brown disclouration spots come off with T-Cut. They must appear where there are tiny chips or cracks in the powder coat. I will give it a coat of wax when I have cleaned them all off.

I am thinking quite hard about drop bars on this, I have some that are wider than I have on my road bikes. I need to find a good quill to ahead adapter though, some look quite cheap and nasty!

Back