1990 Overbury's Pioneer E-stay

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
As the parts for this have slowly started arriving this week, I thought I'd start a proper build thread for it.
The information regarding how this amazing frame came into my possession is all in here, so I wont go over it again in the build thread... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=285711&hilit=Overbury%27s

So, here are some pics of what I very excitedly collected from the outskirts of Bristol a couple of weeks ago....

I'd already negotiated the price for the frame and forks, but the owner said he also had a lot of the bits still that had originaly been fitted to the bike, and would be open to selling those too if I was interested.... I was!
I arrived armed with cash and left with mint front and rear XT mechs, a very nice XT chainset, a full set of XT cantis (although not matching colours) and some lovely XT/Mavic M261 wheels.

Then the fun starts...working out what else I'd like for the build.
I had a few different ideas on the stem. I always wanted something that included a cant-hanger of some description, so this narrowed the search.
I quite fancied the idea of painting a stem to match the amazing orange splatter paint, and this also got me thinking of trying out my newly aquired fillet brazing skills and restoring/modifying something like a T-bone to include some fillets to match the frame.
I then stumbled across a NOS Odyssey Vapor for sale in the US, in the required length and rise. This is the exact same stem as was fitted to my last 1990 Pioneer, so I know that these were an original option for this bike.
I really like these stems, so that kind of settled it (although I do have a T-bone lined up for the torch, just to see how it turns out :D ).
I clicked the BIN and hoped for a speedy delivery, and no import taxes!
It arrived this morning, and tax free!

The same seller had some matching Odyssey bars that I liked the look of too, but they were designed to be used with a forward sweep so I passed.
I'd been watching some NOS Tange Prestige bars on ebay so I decided to go with these instead.
They also arrived this morning.
Shifting duties were always only going to be taken care of my some XT thumbies. I had a pair that I was selling, so pulled the listing. At the same time I spotted some 'NOS' ones on ebay.
I placed my top bid and sat back and waited...and won. They arrived yesterday, and I really wasn't happy. They were marked pretty much all over and had been packaged in together so had been rubbing against each other in transit.
I contacted the seller, who offered me a full refund AND keep the thumbies!
I wasn't happy to take this so negotiated a partial refund in keeping with the condition of these.
I'm a bit disappointed, but they look good when fitted so will be fine for now.
I splashed out too on some NOS 2 finger XT levers.....

The seatpost was always going to have to be a black XT M730.
I'd spotted one a few in the required 26.8 size, but all were dotted around the globe.
In the end I won one from the US, but I'm still waiting on that to arrive. I fully expect this to be flagged by customs due to the price I paid for it.
I was also looking at a few different options for tyres. Most were again in the US.
I spoke to another member on here about buying a few pairs from the same seller, and splitting the shipping/import costs.
I then decided to take the path of least resistance and ordered some smoke/dart from Germany.
They arrived yesterday and I think they look ace on the wheels...

I'm still undecided on saddle choice, but I do love a Turbo so that will be my likely choice.

Looking good so far. :cool:

I was looking through one of my old MTB books last night and spotted a picture of three Overbury's frames that were all painted in serious dayglo fades. Surprised me as all the ones I have seen on this site have been slightly more subdued in paint choice. Like this black and orange splatter though. Of the time, but not too in your face. ;)

Re:

Looking like a really classy build Mark, ;) looking forward to seeing the finished bike mate :cool:
Great link at the start too

Mike

Re:

...you know how I gave up smoking? However Smokes on black rims just rock! This is a sweet build and I have seen the frame/mechs in the flesh and they are spot on! Watching this one...

Re:

Just back from my first ever ride on an Overbury's Pioneer e-stay :D
The build really stalled while I waited for the seat post. It sat in customs for 10 days :evil:
Anyway, while I waited for that I managed to find a NOS Hyperglide cassette and a re-issue suede Turbo saddle.

The seat post finally arrived yesterday, and I manged to slope away from work early, so I got cracking with the last few bits I needed to do to get finished.

There are still a couple of things that I'll change, as I locate the bits I want, but it's pretty much exactly as I want it now.
It was a lovely feeling wheeling this out of my flat for it's maiden (for me) voyage.
It was just a gentle spin along the prom, and around Poole Harbour, today as an easy shake-down ride.

My feedback after the first ride.... it's a bit too small for me :(
It's not so small that I can't ride it, but if only it was a size bigger then I'd be able to give a fair comparison against my other Pioneer.
Maybe as I grow older and shrink, it will fit me better!

Re:

That looks great mate. Nice pics too :)

Latest posts

Back