1990 OFFROAD PROFLEX Ben Serrota

I'm sure you've found the good information and scanned test from October 1990 of your bike on mombat or oldschoolracing.ch

Here's a picture of the KG engineering team, just because you're bike has that nice sticker.
Cool guys, right?
1632729393247.jpeg

For the bike you've found i would first of all recommend to do spend a bit of time in cleaning. I'm sure it will look much better than.

Last edited:
Is it a genuine one or a recreation?
Very genuine, it was a frame only purchase from a number of years back that I built up with odds and sods from the spares bins

what kinda price do these bikes fetch btw because I have to pay my brother in law and have no idea what to give him!!
the problem is they are too rare to have a proper market value -it’s worth what you want to pay for it. It’s a lovely example as it’s catalogue complete but that doesn’t make it any more expense than the sum of its parts. It’s not thousands of dollars at the moment, but I reckon time will treat them well. Offer your BIL $400 and see what face he pulls..

I didn’t pay a fortune for mine as it was a few years back and I don’t think people really got that these were rare, handmade bikes. Pretty much one of the first production full suspension bikes out there, if you exclude the odd exotica like 80s Decenders etc.

Pretty much one of the first production full suspension bikes out there,
And frankly shocking to ride. I had a 91 with suntour xc pro on it, when they came out. Lasted 6 months....probably the biggest purchase mistake of my life at £850!

The " suspension" ( loosely applied term) did nothing that a 2psi drop in the tyres wouldn't do and the frame handled and weighed in at about the same as boat anchor.

Completly respect the engineering in it and the jump forwards towards suspension made and for that alone it deserves a place in history. But as a ride.....

The only good thing I got was a love of xc pro thumbie, which i use on everything to this day!

The " suspension" ( loosely applied term) did nothing that a 2psi drop in the tyres wouldn't do and the frame handled and weighed in at about the same as boat anchor.

yup, as I mentioned in my first post:
Everything can be easily taken to bits and greased, just don’t expect much (or any) travel. The movement in these is next to zero, its designed to take off trail buzz not absorb bumps.
it was a great idea but, as with all great idea, you had to wait for the next gen to get something that worked! Compare this to RS1s or the Mag 20s forks that appeared in the next couple of years or the Turners/Horst links that appeared in half a decade and it’s easy to see how quick things moved

Very much a fast pace change at that time. Considering pace were offering girders for forks as an " upgrade" .....hummm, heavier, harsher ride, hummm upgrade?

But then i fell for it the same as everyone else....new clothes Emperor?

The lads at girvin were brilliant engineers, but as with most people who stick their necks out technically, they got their head cut off.

The much lamented sir clive and his c5 comes to mind....visionary.

I'm sure you've found the good information and scanned test from October 1990 of your bike on mombat or oldschoolracing.ch

Here's a picture of the KG engineering team, just because you're bike has that nice sticker.
Cool guys, right?
View attachment 573101

For the bike you've found i would first of all recommend to do spend a bit of time in cleaning. I'm sure it will look much better than.
That is fantastic, Thankyou for the photo,the bikes being taken apart and given a good clean this week 👌 I'll post some pictures

If it were mine I would take some time disassembling, carefully and thoroughly cleaning, and leave it at that.

Components can be replaced easily enough if they're tired / not shiny or new enough for your tastes, but the frame, forks, stem I would keep as are. Things are only original once, you would never be able to recreate the colour, decals etc as are, and it's a nice bit of history in it's original clothes, patina accepted.

Thread resurrection! I’ve just bagged a very very battered one of these of eBay.

It will take awhile to completely refurb but I have one question..

The above two mentioned that are in ownership, do they have frame numbers?

Ive not got mine yet, but I’m keen to see. Re apparently only 100 being made by Serrotta

Thanks!

Thread resurrection! I’ve just bagged a very very battered one of these of eBay.

It will take awhile to completely refurb but I have one question..

The above two mentioned that are in ownership, do they have frame numbers?

Ive not got mine yet, but I’m keen to see. Re apparently only 100 being made by Serrotta

Thanks!
£70...... Bargain!

Latest posts

Back