1990 Dawes 'Fat Chance' 30 years later restoration

sedicirich

Retro Newbie
Like many the lock down has afforded time that simply would not have happened any other way. I have rebuilt 3 bikes during this time, my 2000 Specialized P3, my wive's 02 Hardrock and at last my first mountain bike my 1990 Dawes fat chance (no not that fat chance). In 1990 Dawes had a range of 'competition' bikes and the fat chance was the entry bike with 400lx group set, a lesser fork than the other 3, 501 Magnum main tubes. In the mid 90's it got robbed of bits and gained a few random bits when I used it for commuting. I had wanted to clean up for the Malvern's 2 years ago but that didn't happen, but it did get rode round the course at a fair pace by pro MTB coach Alan Milway of MX Fitness. The 25 year old Psycho K's actually split.

Anyway out of storage, I had managed to get a number of original parts to replace the missing 400lx mech and cranks. Tried to get as close to the standard bottle cage as possible but finding a steel cage similar to the original wasn't possible. I clean up the frame and fork as is, as the paint is a metallic yellow with a slight iridescent pink lacquer - not going to be easy to match and new decals would need redesigning - I won't rule this out perhaps for another time when businesses are back to help match the colour. Anyway we'll go with the 'patina' of rusty chips. One thing that needed to be done and could have been done simpler was polishing what Dawes called in the 90's 'rust proof' spokes, clearly not stainless. Cleaning in-situ it was obvious I would have to unlace and polish by hand - with 36 per wheel this was an endless job. I quit with the nipples and got new ones. The Rigida rims I'm pretty sure had a zinc passivate on the eyelets - all rusted now so I polished them back to silver. I then rebuild the wheels, first wheels I've ever built - think I will get a pro to tidy them but they are fairly true and no too flat spotted! The original pedals were long gone but they were copies of the Deore XT M730 pedals, it had gained some VP pedals similar to M735 so decided just to paint them to look more original and buff the ally centres and new Zefal straps like back in 1990. Every thing was removed and cleaned as expected. The brake pads are original and a hard as rock! Front hub was a desert and feels much better with new grease. The chain was original but appears not to be the HG-50 it should have been but a Sachs chain.

It ain't exciting but its where mtb started for me and like many here I still at it, this retro isn't for using, my P3 however is getting plenty of use with it's new modern XT brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_151348.jpg
    IMG_20200519_151348.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 482
  • IMG_20200519_160042.jpg
    IMG_20200519_160042.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20200519_160122.jpg
    IMG_20200519_160122.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 503
  • IMG_20200506_172602.jpg
    IMG_20200506_172602.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 494
  • IMG_20200503_131833.jpg
    IMG_20200503_131833.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_20200503_135227.jpg
    IMG_20200503_135227.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 483
What a transformation especially on the wheels

Dawes Fatchance :LOL: doubt you’d get away with that these days

2021-03-28.png

Reverse engineering decals - not a 5 minute job, aim to to do the Fat Chance, Off Limits and Raw nerve decals, the other Dawes, Hand built, and Reynolds magnum are common to all. Going to get a colour swatch for Ral or Pantone and try and match the rectangle colours. Fortunately I have each frame, and an original Raw Nerve decal for reference.

Like many the lock down has afforded time that simply would not have happened any other way. I have rebuilt 3 bikes during this time, my 2000 Specialized P3, my wive's 02 Hardrock and at last my first mountain bike my 1990 Dawes fat chance (no not that fat chance). In 1990 Dawes had a range of 'competition' bikes and the fat chance was the entry bike with 400lx group set, a lesser fork than the other 3, 501 Magnum main tubes. In the mid 90's it got robbed of bits and gained a few random bits when I used it for commuting. I had wanted to clean up for the Malvern's 2 years ago but that didn't happen, but it did get rode round the course at a fair pace by pro MTB coach Alan Milway of MX Fitness. The 25 year old Psycho K's actually split.

Anyway out of storage, I had managed to get a number of original parts to replace the missing 400lx mech and cranks. Tried to get as close to the standard bottle cage as possible but finding a steel cage similar to the original wasn't possible. I clean up the frame and fork as is, as the paint is a metallic yellow with a slight iridescent pink lacquer - not going to be easy to match and new decals would need redesigning - I won't rule this out perhaps for another time when businesses are back to help match the colour. Anyway we'll go with the 'patina' of rusty chips. One thing that needed to be done and could have been done simpler was polishing what Dawes called in the 90's 'rust proof' spokes, clearly not stainless. Cleaning in-situ it was obvious I would have to unlace and polish by hand - with 36 per wheel this was an endless job. I quit with the nipples and got new ones. The Rigida rims I'm pretty sure had a zinc passivate on the eyelets - all rusted now so I polished them back to silver. I then rebuild the wheels, first wheels I've ever built - think I will get a pro to tidy them but they are fairly true and no too flat spotted! The original pedals were long gone but they were copies of the Deore XT M730 pedals, it had gained some VP pedals similar to M735 so decided just to paint them to look more original and buff the ally centres and new Zefal straps like back in 1990. Every thing was removed and cleaned as expected. The brake pads are original and a hard as rock! Front hub was a desert and feels much better with new grease. The chain was original but appears not to be the HG-50 it should have been but a Sachs chain.

It ain't exciting but its where mtb started for me and like many here I still at it, this retro isn't for using, my P3 however is getting plenty of use with it's new modern XT brakes.

Hello. I appreciate this is a few years after the original post, but however…
I purchased a sequence of MTB’s from Harry Hall’s in Manchester, during the period 1989-1991. A fluorescent green Marin Muirwood was the first, a Matt Grey grit textured Bear Valley the third, but in between these, I owned a Dawes Fat Chance, identical to the bike that sedicirch has refurbished. It was the least fashionable of the three, with a paint colour that left you permanently concerned about your taste, and was heavy. But what it lacked in style it recovered in rarity, as so few were on the streets. I purchased a rear rack and panniers and cycled from Ludlow, to Kidderminster then to Abergavenny on it, enjoying the descents mostly. It was at home in the Brecons. As per the Marins, the bike was stolen in Manchester from my place of work. I miss it still. Thanks for illustrating your careful refurbishment.

Latest posts

Back