1990 Brodie Catalyst

RichieB

Retro Guru
Just thought I'd take a moment to show you all what I've been spending the past year putting together - Actually, resurrecting is more the appropriate term. This 1990 Brodie Catalyst has original paint, but was well loved before I got it - so nothing less that a complete rebuild was in order with a flawless XT kit and extras by IRD, Fat City and Bontrager. She's a fast, sure footed rider, make no mistake! - The dirt in the closeups is from riding, not laziness.

I wanted one of these SO badly when I worked at a Kona dealer in 1990, but could never afford it.

The Catalayst was hand TIG'd by Paul Brodie himself utilizing the then-brand new Prestige Concept main triangle tubes, and Ritchey logic Prestige seat and chain stays.

It's taken some work, but here she is - my resurrected Brodie Catalyst!

11974764715_d10c140248_c.jpg

The paint work, which is original, was done by Art Tyler, or "The Art Department", Brodie's in house custom paint Guru..

11975062753_50494fcbcf_c.jpg

11975043983_5730bbd796_c.jpg

11975567946_7a99583cc6_c.jpg

11975583636_573bae16f0_c.jpg

11974738315_13aa2da83a_c.jpg

And it's hard to spot, but it's come a LONG way since the day I bought it!

11974954935_804746e469_c.jpg

hi
i freakin' love it dude!!!!
and my fav...............ird bits.
simply awesome.
i have a couple brodie's too.
welcome to the club. :D
roy

Thanks Roy! Glad to know I'm not the only one who loves it!

BTW, for anyone who's interested:

Frame: 19" Brodie Catalyst, Tange Prestige Concept main tubes, Ritchey Logic Stays

Fork: TBG/Kona Project 2

Headset: Deore XT
Stem: Bontrager Santa Cruz Built Race
Handlebar: Fat City/True Temper alloy
Grips: ODI Mushroom
Barends:

Brakes: Interloc Racing Designs
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Eagle 2
Brake Cables: Deore XT
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Diacompe SS-5

Shifters: Deore XT Thumbshifters - 7 speed
Front Derailleur: Deore XT m732
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT m732
Derailleur Cables: Stainless
Cassette: Deore XT m732 12-28
Chain: Shimano UN91
Cranks: Deore XT m732
Crank Bolts: Deore XT m732
Chainrings: Deore XT m732 Biopace II
Chainring bolts: Deore XT m732
Bottom Bracket: Deore XT m732
Pedals: Deore XT m732

Hub Skewers: Deore XT m732
Rims: Araya RM17 Super Hard Anno
Hubs: Deore XT m732
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss Stainless
Tyres: Onza Porcupine II
Tubes: Butyl Rubber - schraeder valve

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo - black leather
Seatpost: Interloc Racing Designs
Seatpost Binder: Deore XT m732

Weight: 25 lbs?

Great job.

I've not yet seen one up close, but I like the look of Brodie's especially the Catalyst.

It's also good to know it's being ridden; it always seems a little bit of a shame that people spend all the time, effort and money to build or rebuild a bike and then don't experience the magic breathed into the frame by the frame builder.

That's fantastic Richie! Loving the paintwork and your choice of components :cool:

raidan73":1vshxgas said:
That's fantastic Richie! Loving the paintwork and your choice of components :cool:

A sublime build. I don't think theres anything I don't like.

Just cool..... :cool:

And the TBG decal is still there too.... :cool:

Attachments

• TBG.jpg
    TBG.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,696
That is sweet :cool:

What a stunner. That paint work is amazing seeing its original and the choice of components is spot on.

Not jealous at all :evil:

One of the finest looking bikes I've seen on here for a long time. Absolutely wonderful; I wouldn't change a thing. Are there any other before shots for comparison? This has my BOTM vote.

Amazing!!!!
Color its B e a u t i f u l l.

hard to see those brakes, good job, enjoyment!

Thanks for the compliments, fellas! This bike was a true labour of love, so it's nice that you all appreciate it!

Sadly, I only have the one before pic. It was a Seattle daily driver when I got it, so to say it needed work was an understatement.

I got so far into the resto, because the condition made me so sad, before I realized I hadn't taken any more pics.

Back