1989 Saracen Kili Flyer Competition

That's the one I dreamt of as a schoolkid. I bought a Tufftrax last year and it was a massive disappointment actually.

A few of the parts for this build have arrived/been found/cleaned up and most importantly painstakingly photographed to document progress.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_16.jpg

First of all that rogue ball bearing from the rear XT hub turned up hiding in plain site on the workshop floor. It was doing a passable impersonation of the one of Jupiter's moons. Understandably it was replaced along with it's other corroded 17 siblings.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_17.jpg

All builds from a certain period must include a NOS XT sharkfin. I shall dutifully comply with this rule.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_18.jpg

A quick look on the mezzanine looks promising...

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_20.jpg

I knew I had this somewhere. It's going to need some black chainrings though.

Sorted for M733 2 finger brake levers

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_21.jpg

There is one pair there with matching hoods, which will be just enough.

This was a recent eBay purchase. I watched it for a couple of weeks hoping the price would drop. I was initially a bit dubious about it's condition when I unwrapped it, but it has cleaned up very nicely.
I present to you an XT M730 bottom bracket.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_22.jpg 89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_23.jpg

It's almost a shame it'll be all hidden away inside the frame.

I know it's been less than 24 hours since my last update, but I can tell from the deluge of responses to this thread that many of you are now eagerly anticipating what comes next.
Especially after that close up photo of a rusty 1/4 inch ball bearing...

So to ease the suffering of all of you sat there shivering in the cold sweats of withdrawal, here are some more photos of bike parts accompanied by pithy comments.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_30.jpg

Who knew that I had a whole spare pair of XT M732 cantilever brakes in black. Let's just all hope that that pot of bits has all the correct springs, bolts and covers.
The brake pads will be another matter entirely...

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_31.jpg

Nice to see that I have a couple of options for the XT M732 thumbshifters. While they are not perfect cosmetically I think I can get a passable set together for this one.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_32.jpg

We may have a small problem here. One of the two top-pull XT front mechs here is virtually unused, the other one just needs a cable clamp bolt.
The thing is that I need a bottom pull mech and the one I have might be a bit too scruffy for this build.

89_Kili-Flyer-Comp_33.jpg

Rear mechs should be okay, but they both need a bit of work. I'll be needing the short cage for this bike.

I'm certainly tuned in mate so keep 'em coming! Love threads like this that document every part and just wish I had the patience to go in to so much detail myself!

Lovely build this one. One of the best looking Saracen's ever produced. You have a quite a stash of parts! LOVE the Biopace logo, and what a find to find a NOS black chainring. It's coming along very nicely... keep up the good work ;) 👍

Back