1989 MBK Aventure - Revival thread

Funny enough I just picked up the exact same bike today for a tenner, it was next to a skip on a drive. I walked pasted 5 or 6 times then I couldn't ignore it any more, it was shouting "rescue me" 😆. Mines not in quite as nick but I am missing a retro MTB in the collection. All stripped down no issues, the signs of decent spec bits! This one has a few chips in the paint and all the logos missing from the seat tube. It all seems original apart from there is a 7 speed cassette on it. I love those blue tyres I might just steel that idea 😃🙄. the last picture is as collected!
Oh snap, great to see another one getting the retrobike treatment! I ended up getting a new seat post as well as the original was super short. Shame about the decals, love the look of them on mine. FYI looks like the pedals and wheels have been replaced on yours.
These are the tyres I got, but there are other options.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Like you I couldn't find very much info on the bike, your post came up near the top in searches. My aim with this is to spend zero, I have a number of steel road bikes but this is my first tinker with retro MTBs since my childhood! I'll get it running then see what will work, but those blue tyres do look nice, do they roll ok on the tarmac?

These are the wheels that were on mine and I think the cassette is "super wire". They have formula hubs which should be fine after a rebuild. Strange though the front is quick release and the rear has bolts.

The seat post is quite knackered looking but came out without issue. Sometimes they do clean up quite nice with a Brillo pad. All the exage stuff normal comes up quite nice I have the Biopace chainrings on my Raleigh Corsa Reynolds 531, which is also Exage 300 (from memory). IMG_20210628_210332.jpg IMG_20210628_210258.jpg IMG_20210628_210217.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
nice to see these

there is a more upmarket version of this with a more sombre look but with Deore II and Columbus tubing.

That headset cable guide is a copy of a Suntour headset HL-3000

My resting 'bitch face' as I carefully roll down a bit of the Peaks last month

1625128849271.png

1625127956836.png

1625127891307.png

Attachments

• suntour.jpg
    suntour.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I had one of these.

Interestingly it had a screw on freewheel not cassette on original grey alesa rims

Edit: ah mine was the ranger

For horrendously coloured tyres like those at half the price try https://curiouk.com/

My first mtb was very similar to the "setting the pace for the 90s" ad. bike.but was the Aventure. Green yellow and red. Exage mountain gs . It didn't have the gusset though (must have been an early one). They used some sort of inexternal welding ( as mbk called it). It was weak AF and I snapped the frame. Had the front fillet brazed by Duncan from Pace when they were in Appleton le moors. Forks bent after that and the seat tube started to crack at the seat qr because it wasn't reinforced. Truly awful frame lol. It did get a hammering mind.

Back