1989 Claud Butler Pagan. Gravelly Rebuild?

Um......

Slight change of plans?

I've decided to do a proper restoration on the Pagan, it means something to me due to having owned it from new. Any other bike means nothing so I'm going to tinker about with this local Gumtree find:

20210605_182229.jpg

Woohoo! Err....... 1994 Dawes Street Life 12 Speed model....... bottom of the range!

40 quid? Rude not to?

Thought this would make a better gravel path bike with its lighter frame, 700c wheels and SKS mudguards. It rides nicely, no knocks, chain is worn, whole bike is covered in road grime, but shiny under that, Weinmann alloy calipers might suck but it has Rigida rims and properly high rise handlebars.

I will launch a new thread for The Dawes and keep popping up here with the Claud resto.

I need to find the RAL paint code nearest this '89 Pagans' green/blue/aqua, I'm going to change my colour choice at the finishers and have the original colour redone.

Heres the Pagan again:

IMG_0620_1.jpg

But the colour photographs very differently under different light sources:

Is it blue or green?

20210525_214610.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
It’s Teal.... (seriously that’s what it’s called)
**edit** no it’s not🤦‍♂️ The catalogue calls it Aqua Green
3F54747A-D9DA-4070-A48F-2CB77D443ED4.jpeg
I think the ‘92 Cape Wrath was described as Teal. I’ve had both and they are exactly the same colour!

Madness. I have downloaded that catalogue and to be Frank their image is green.

I swear my bike is darker than your teal Cape Wrath but it is nowhere near as green as the catalogue bike:

20210607_150827.jpg

Cheers

Dave

It’s Teal.... (seriously that’s what it’s called)
Madness. I have downloaded that catalogue and to be Frank their image is green.

I swear my bike is darker than your teal Cape Wrath but it is nowhere near as green as the catalogue bike:

View attachment 547592

Cheers

Dave
Yeah that Catalogue green never saw the light of day. As for the 92 Teal Cape & the 89 Pagan. Honestly you couldn’t tell them apart.

Um......

Slight change of plans?

I've decided to do a proper restoration on the Pagan, it means something to me due to having owned it from new. Any other bike means nothing so I'm going to tinker about with this local Gumtree find:

View attachment 547575

Woohoo! Err....... 1994 Dawes Street Life 12 Speed model....... bottom of the range!

40 quid? Rude not to?

Thought this would make a better gravel path bike with its lighter frame, 700c wheels and SKS mudguards. It rides nicely, no knocks, chain is worn, whole bike is covered in road grime, but shiny under that, Weinmann alloy calipers might suck but it has Rigida rims and properly high rise handlebars.

I will launch a new thread for The Dawes and keep popping up here with the Claud resto.

I need to find the RAL paint code nearest this '89 Pagans' green/blue/aqua, I'm going to change my colour choice at the finishers and have the original colour redone.

Heres the Pagan again:

View attachment 547577

But the colour photographs very differently under different light sources:

Is it blue or green?

View attachment 547589

Cheers

Dave
Dawes 1994 https://dawescycles.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/1994-dawes-cat.pdf

Interesting Peachy It's funny how digital camera sensors handle this particular hue. I never get the same colour twice.

Here we have: CB "Aqua", Turquoise broom handle, dayglo green tape measure and a Park Tool blue tyre lever:

20210607_155524.jpg

If the colour was the same as in my photo above against the orange fence I'd be happy, but it's not, it's this weird half green half blue.

Thanks Oaklec I'll have a look! Where should I post up a thread on The Dawes? Its neither Road or MTB....

Cheers

Dave

Where to post a thread on the Dawes? Good question, I have no idea, there isn't a section on here for hybrids. It has 700c wheels and is a "Street Life" which would indicate in it's original state it is more road orientated, however, mountain bikes now have 700c wheels.... and if you are building it up as a gravel bike, it's for off road. Not wishing to stir a hornets nest but ATB was such a fantastic term rather than mountain bike.

Your logic matches mine but I was deterred by the road wheels and limited tyre clearances.

Do you think it would make a better platform for a drop bar gravel bike?

WTD? Need a thread....

Cheers

Dave

NB. If you’re planning on getting Gil_m to reproduce your graphics, I only created artwork for the Cape Wrath version. So you will need to take note of the colours and also HD close photos of the “Pagan” top tube name graphic (the rest are the same)

Back