1988 Raleigh Mirage

Reading about this 23" Raleigh also brings back memories of how most of the budget MTB's in the late 80's/early 90's seemed to be very large frames?
It seemed to be the way that teenagers buying their first MTB, if it was a budget brand (Raleigh, Peugeot, Emmelle, etc), would end up with 21" or 23" frames, whereas all the cool higher end MTB's were usually around 18" to 20".
I have one painful memory of rocking up to York Cycleworks on my 21.5" Peugeot circa 1990. Back then you could park your bike in the front of the shop rather than leave it outside. So my clunker is parked next to all these exotic 18" Trek's, Specialized, etc. One of the shop assistants saw my bike and said 'do you need a ladder to get on that?' 😆 😆

Reactions: al
Not sure what the hell that 'music' was, but I didn't like it.

It's a 21", and I'm a strapping athletic 6'2".

al.

Not sure what the hell that 'music' was, but I didn't like it.

It's a 21", and I'm a strapping athletic 6'2".

al.

I’ll vouch for the fact that Al is indeed 6’2”

He looks a tad taller here ...?

73206.jpg

It's almost here.
The next leg of the journey from the wild north is underway. Safely tucked away and toasty for the long trek to West Cornwall.
al.
Screenshot_20220624-142541~2.png

It's arrived, and I can confirm that the condition is ridiculous!
Going for new Raleigh tyres, replacement brake blocks, then a soapy shampoo, cut and polish.
Should be finished in a couple of days.

al. 😁
Screenshot_20220626-151211~2.png

Nearly there, just a few more quality items to replace. IMG_20220628_171739_390.jpg

al.

Back