1987 Raleigh Avanti *****Finished*****

MADB, I know this is a really old thread but I wonder if you could help me out please. One of these Avantis came into our community workshop and we're refurbishing it, but I'm struggling with the correct cable routing, with regards to the rear brake. Currently there's a two-channel plastic cable guide under the BB shell, presumably for the gear cables. So, where's the central cable for the rear brake meant to go? Was it originally a 3-channel that's been replaced before the bike came to us or am I missing something?

This member hasn't been active here for a good while but I would say a triple guide under the bb shell would be exactly what you need

MADB, I know this is a really old thread but I wonder if you could help me out please. One of these Avantis came into our community workshop and we're refurbishing it, but I'm struggling with the correct cable routing, with regards to the rear brake. Currently there's a two-channel plastic cable guide under the BB shell, presumably for the gear cables. So, where's the central cable for the rear brake meant to go? Was it originally a 3-channel that's been replaced before the bike came to us or am I missing something?

I've just checked my heavily customised, but similar 1988 Raleigh frame and it has a triple guide that looks like this:

Cable guide.JPG

Apologies for the poor lighting, but it has the two mech guides and central u-brake guide.

This member hasn't been active here for a good while but I would say a triple guide under the bb shell would be exactly what you need
I've just checked my heavily customised, but similar 1988 Raleigh frame and it has a triple guide that looks like this:

View attachment 628803

Apologies for the poor lighting, but it has the two mech guides and central u-brake guide.
Thank you both! I fished out a triple cable guide and tapped an M6 thread into the hole in the shell to be able to hold it in place. This bike rides like a dream!

Back