1987 Marlboro Claud Butler Majestic 2 tandem FINISHED pg13

Super job Peachy! Tandems are amazing fun and I love the new lease of life you've given this one. 👍 👍 👍
Cheers, totally new experience for us and we’re certainly enjoying it. 😁😁

Had a nice little pootle about today, just shy of 30miles with a couple of short stops to enjoy the views from a couple of pub gardens… managed 48.1mph on one down hill section… @Our Jimmy had his eyes closed during that I think 🤣🤣
You need to do that whilst overtaking someone covered in Lycra riding a very modern bike and just nod your head and say mornin as you whizz past.

As for the forks, well nothings set in stone. I’ve been led down this route by talking to other tandem users who had asked where and on what we intend to ride it. With the answer being local East Yorkshire B roads & greenlanes they all advised a road/touring shock as ridding around rough tarmac/pot holes isn’t quite as easy as when riding solo. I was pretty limited by the 1” steerer & budget but these Zoom forks seem to have a reasonable reputation. Also I’m not off roading and only want or need a small amount of travel. They also allow me more options with brakes, tyres & mudguards. (Seat heights not set)
Heading down this road myself, although getting hold of a set of forks with 1" steerer has proven impossible (at a reasonable price anyway). It seems the forks you have are out of stock everywhere I look so I'm going to marry my decent quality Suntour "bottom bits" with a Rock Shox crown and 1" steerer from the US. The crown is all allen key clamps for stanchions so fitting will be relatively painless.
One point brought up by a frame-builder here was the extra weight of the suspension forks, he didn't say, "don't do it", just, "be aware of it".
I feel the softening of impact on the frame overall is worth the effort, but I've been more wrong than right so far... I'm taking it very slowly.

Had a nice little pootle about today, just shy of 30miles with a couple of short stops to enjoy the views from a couple of pub gardens… managed 48.1mph on one down hill section.
Peachy!, I've been so caught up in my own perjagerations since joining (and benefitting from some very good advice from yourself), I'm only just catching up with your build here. I'm still yet to see the whole thread, but what I have seen is fantastic stuff. The bike looks brilliant and your work is an inspiration.

Heading down this road myself, although getting hold of a set of forks with 1" steerer has proven impossible (at a reasonable price anyway). It seems the forks you have are out of stock everywhere I look so I'm going to marry my decent quality Suntour "bottom bits" with a Rock Shox crown and 1" steerer from the US. The crown is all allen key clamps for stanchions so fitting will be relatively painless.
One point brought up by a frame-builder here was the extra weight of the suspension forks, he didn't say, "don't do it", just, "be aware of it".
I feel the softening of impact on the frame overall is worth the effort, but I've been more wrong than right so far... I'm taking it very slowly.
I’ve ridden mine with both it’s original (which I’ve also re-finished like the frame) and the zoom suspension and it’s a no brainier to me especially if you think your going to use it over less than perfect roads. If you live in a city then ok you don’t need them but everywhere else the roads are f**ked (in the U.K.)

Last edited:
Madge is up for grabs as Jackie is on her way.

& now on eBay starting price £50

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back