1986 Ridgeback "S"

was8v

Senior Retro Guru
I've just picked up an old black Ridgeback.

Timewarp condition Ridgeback mountain bike. Seller thought it was 1984, I'm not sure. Stickers are missing except the cromo sticker.

EDIT: Its in the 1986 catalogue, see below.

It has DNP Climber derailleurs and shifter (right replaced by accushift indexed).
Tracer Chainset
Polygon Brakes
Bullmoose bars
SR big flange hubs on Sumo rims

I think the DNP gears mean it's the lower end Ridgeback model.

All original and look little used apart from the pedals, seat, tyres and shifter.

I've been after an early British bike for a while.

Re: 1984-86 freewheel catalogues? Is this a Ridgeback "S" 1986?

0OnUHTil.jpg

LZ41uBFl.jpg

M3wKpYxl.jpg

HldF9PUl.jpg

UKtTZ42l.jpg

mcIIiHOl.jpg

YsP3uYVl.jpg

Re: 1984-86 freewheel catalogues? Is this a Ridgeback "S" 1986?

Looks to be the same as baldtired's one in this thread, although he has both shimano mechs (possible replacement / upgrade as the shifters are DNP climber like mine or perhaps model year change for 87).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=311662

Snoot in that thread has it at 86/87.

Anyone got a freewheel catalogue of that vintage?

Re:

That's pretty much identical to my old Ridgeback which I took delivery of in April 1987, ordered direct from the Freewheel catalogue.

Good to know they still crop up again - I've been after one of these for over 5 years now!

This one looks to be near perfect - I remember that sticker on the bullhorn handlebars says @4130' unless I'm mistaken. .

What size is the frame was8v? I would send you a pm but for some reason I can't.......

Re: 1986/7 freewheel catalogues? Is this a Ridgeback "S" 1986?

When was the last time you saw a 34 year old chain like this....

oNsjzJKl.jpg

4hdhhM1l.jpg

Its 21" centre to top seat tube, and 23" centre to centre top tube.

The seller told me they only replaced the thumbshifter to get index gears.

Re: 1986/7 freewheel catalogues? Is this a Ridgeback "S" 1986?

These are apparently the 1987 pages:

I await the 1986 pages with baited breath.

Aaaaaand the 1986 Freewheel catalogue Ridgeback pages:

£199 in 1986 is £590 today, so not a cheap bike!

Gearing is a mystery as the Catalogue says and shows shimano mechs and shfiters.

My bike has DNP climber mechs and shifter

Baldtired's has shimano mechs and DNP climber shifters

Perhaps there was a few different configs.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back