1987/8/9? Mountain Klein build thread

Glad to be of assistance :) I don´t even know where this shot came from, but it has convinced me that DD builds can be sexy. Bonus: The bars/stem in the pic are of the more affordable (and available) Nitto variety, if I´m seeing that right.

Glad to be of assistance :) I don´t even know where this shot came from, but it has convinced me that DD builds can be sexy. Bonus: The bars/stem in the pic are of the more affordable (and available) Nitto variety, if I´m seeing that right.
I have some WTB's ;)

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 78
I mean, if you already had the WTB's, it's crazy you were every even considering another option!

Genuinely can't wait to see what you do with this.

It's only an idea so far and it already feels like it's got BOTM potential written all over it!

One detail to add: Your frame should be a "later" Mountain Klein, as the first bikes (1985 MY only) had the rear derailleur cable through the chainstay. Yours is similar in style with the first Pinnacles with the additional cable stop at the drop out. Cable should feed through a hole in the U Brake post, no?

Edit: Should read the title first, 1988 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I edited the title from 88 to 86, it might even be an 85 but I can find nothing on those, however the 86 seems to have been the last model with U-brakes front and rear. Mombat also has a spec sheet of sorts, so that puts catalogue reproduction into play, although I'll probably use it more as a guide than a template.

15 speed Suntour XC drive train with Suntour rollercams would form a nice basis and gives me something to aim at, things like saddle, seatpost and wheels I'll play by ear, period correctness, condition, quality and aesthetic appeal will be the main criteria for those.

As much as I want to make this a dirt drop build the steerer tube is a 21.1mm, and all my riser stems are 22.2. The only stem I have that fits is welded to a set of bullmoose bars, I will hunt for a nice period correct 21.1 riser but it's possible I'll have to abandon that idea and go for something a bit more tame.
bulymoose.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, unusual that these had a BMX sized steerer. Is it the original fork? Anyway, I can fully get behind a Klein with a Bullmoose 😋
Another lovely pic!
It may not be the original fork, but given Kleins insistence on making pretty much everything difficult for future restorers it wouldn't surprise me if it is. I have seen some other pics of these bikes with bullmoose bars and even BMX stems during my online digging, it's certainly throwing up some issues, I guess I'll need a BMX headset too?

Back