1987/8/9? Mountain Klein build thread

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Haven't received the frameset yet but thought I'd get the thread started anyway, in the hope of mining the RB community's rich vein of wisdom and experience before I begin planning the build and gathering any parts.

This project is going to throw up several firsts for me - Press fit BB, internal cable routing, roller cam brakes and prepping and painting (or polishing) a frame, so any and all advice related to those things will be gratefully received.

Here she is - Serial number is 2M642, looks pretty decent, seller assures me there are no dents, cracks or other damage and that appears to be right.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1600.jpg

The seller bought the frameset as it is now about 10 years ago and just never got round to doing anything with it, sadly he didn't have any other information, he wasn't 100% certain about the year either so any help with confirmation is welcome. I was hoping to at least learn something about the original spec or colourway, but I guess that'll have to come from digging.

I haven't decided on anything yet except that I'm definitely going to keep it period correct, with possible and usual exceptions like tyres, tubes, brake blocks and cables.

Last edited:
I have a few ideas for how to approach this build.

Option 1
Another dirt drop bike, it's perhaps an ideal frame for that, with the bare alu tubes and roller cam brakes it wouldn't take much to capture that Cunningham aesthetic and this frame would certainly do the project justice, it wouldn't box me in at all in terms of catalogue spec and would free me up to get a bit creative with the drive train and other parts.
An RBer of yore already ticked this box...
5063421337_7168a8fc5c_b.jpg

Option 2
The obvious catalogue correct option, however I have so far had no luck at all sourcing 1988 specs, and until something surfaces this one is off the table. If anyone can help with the 1988 spec that would be great. There are pics out there of 88 models, but if I'm going that route I want to get everything right and not rely on guesswork or low res pictures, there's also a fair amount of variety between bikes listed as 1988 Mountains.

436485-c4d5a5397f27e289c76d1b93da081644.jpg
41291F4C-A48D-4BAB-A549-F58487F122F6.jpeg IMG_7874 (1).jpg

Option 3
There's this I found while hunting, an interesting 1988 custom build by a rider attempting to put together the worlds lightest mtb, it has the advantage of providing a full spec list, it also has the disadvantage of including an eclectic blend of weight weenie parts, some of which may be difficult (impossible?) to source and/or very expensive to buy, realistically this is probably not feasible financially, but the idea of at least having a go at recreating this unique build really does appeal, I'll keep playing the lottery and see what happens.

Although this particular bike is based on an 88 Pinnacle I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume that a custom dealership would have been happy to fit the same parts to any of the Klein range of that year, as far as I can tell there was only the Pinnacle and the Mountain.

1188Klein3.jpg

Option 4
Just build it up with the nicest period correct parts I can source. This would be the simplest, almost certainly the cheapest and without doubt the most rapid to complete option and accordingly is the current favourite.

kleiningham.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in favor of option #4. BTW, I remember that old lightweight build article, MBA article if memory serves?

I did exactly this option #4 approach with my 93' Cannondale BOTE. Granted my build parts list spans to around 96' with the Cattlehead stem, etc but I was not concerned about sticking to one period, from the start I wanted it to be an as light as possible build and it received all of my coolest/lightest parts.

Polishing can be a good approach which is what chose for the C'dale but for a Klein I'd be temped to go over the top colorful, either way you have a great starting point. I'll be watching with interest 😃
20220619_204401065_iOS.jpg

#1 or #4

Looking at the original photos you posted, it sure would make for a very pretty "poor man's" Cunningham!

I'm in favor of option #4. BTW, I remember that old lightweight build article, MBA article if memory serves?

I did exactly this option #4 approach with my 93' Cannondale BOTE. Granted my build parts list spans to around 96' with the Cattlehead stem, etc but I was not concerned about sticking to one period, from the start I wanted it to be an as light as possible build and it received all of my coolest/lightest parts.

Polishing can be a good approach which is what chose for the C'dale but for a Klein I'd be temped to go over the top colorful, either way you have a great starting point. I'll be watching with interest 😃
I like that option too, undecided on finish, paint would eat into the budget, but yep, if it is to be paint it'll need to be obnoxiously flamboyant.
#1 or #4

Looking at the original photos you posted, it sure would make for a very pretty "poor man's" Cunningham!

I'm not averse to the idea of leaving this one bare, allowing the welds and other little details to show. It'll save a heap of money and time, there'll be no worrying about chips and scratches, I think battle scars actually improve the character of an old bare metal fuselage. So it'll probably end up being somewhere between 1 and 4, I prefer the finish of the frame in the last picture, some nice period parts and WTB drop bars would look great and would be fun to ride.

Most pressing issue is that I'm struggling to source a spindle for the BB, the option exists to use a Mavic 610 or 616 bb, that would mean getting the bb shell modified to seat it properly, a scary thought, but at least a last resort option exists that will allow me to get the frame rideable.

My 2 cents, which are rapidly losing value these days ;)

I can definitely see the appeal of a Jed St Henry replica, but given the rarity of the parts for it, it would still be the "wrong" frame. Not sure if it would be worth the effort for me.

OTOH a Mountain Klein should have a nice short-ish top tube, good for a dirt drop build. Always wanted to do that with one of my U Brake Pinnacles. Inspiration came from one of my favourite vintage shots (although it is indeed a Mountain Klein).

IMG_0140_2.JPG

I can definitely see the appeal of a Jed St Henry replica, but given the rarity of the parts for it, it would still be the "wrong" frame. Not sure if it would be worth the effort for me.

OTOH a Mountain Klein should have a nice short-ish top tube, good for a dirt drop build. Always wanted to do that with one of my U Brake Pinnacles. Inspiration came from one of my favourite vintage shots (although it is indeed a Mountain Klein).

View attachment 639411
I have to say Dr Dremel, while my first reaction favors option #4 I love the above dirt drop build. It looks so right in every way right down to the red paint

View attachment 639411
I really love the look of that.

If it were mine I'd miss out option 3...that's a rod for your back!
I'd blend all the other options together! Esp the idea of slightly off the wall light weight parts and dirt drops....and on the frame as is! It's got a little patina already and it's got that lovely dulled look coming on...that combo tickles my fancy!
Have fun whichever way you go with it ✌️

Back