1986.5 Cannondale SM600

Build Specs

Frame and Fork : 1986 Cannondale SM600 (second production run)

Handlebars : Nitto Riser (680mm length)

Stem : Suntour XC quill stem (70mm length)

Headset : Suntour XC

Headset brake cable hanger : Suntour XC

Brake Levers : Suntour XC Pro

Brakes : Suntour XC Roller cams

Brake Pads : Kool Stop Eagle 2

Shifters : Suntor XC Power Ratchets

Rear Derailleur : Suntour XC Pro

Front Derailleur : Suntour XC Comp

Cranks : Suntor XCE

Chainrings : Suntour Nija Power Rings ( 48, 38, 28 )

Bottom Bracket : Sugino

Pedals : Wellgo Bear Traps

Seatpost : SR Sakae (27.2 x 240) with Hite Rite

Seatpost Skewer : Suntour

Saddle : Vetta

Rims : Araya RX-7 (26 x 1.50)

Hubs : JoyTech

Spokes : Stainless Steel

Freewheel Cassette : Shimano 7-speed 13-28

Spoke Guard : Cannondale

Skewers : Shimano Deore

Tires : Continental Race King (26 x 2.2)

Grips : Race Face Getta Grip (single lockon)

Water Bottle Cage : Avenier Aluminum

Frame Pump : MT. Zefal Plus

Seatbag : Fabric

Frame Wedge Bag with Shoulder strap : Altair

Last edited:
The pre 89 Cannondales are my favourite era and I don't think they get the love they deserve
I see a 88 or 89 Red Shred frame/fork and stem on ebay for 200 $US that is similar to yours. Though the paint is in awful shape. I think it is an 89 as it has a Tioga T-bone stem. That may be my next build :). I may get it and try to paint myself. I have most of the parts ready that were supposed to go on another build, unfortunately that frame (Muddy Fox Alu Pro) has two small cracks in the headtube :(

I see a 88 or 89 Red Shred frame/fork and stem on ebay for 200 $US that is similar to yours. Though the paint is in awful shape. I think it is an 89 as it has a Tioga T-bone stem. That may be my next build :). I may get it and try to paint myself. I have most of the parts ready that were supposed to go on another build, unfortunately that frame (Muddy Fox Alu Pro) has two small cracks in the headtube :(

I no longer have an 89 but I have an extra 88 that I’ll be selling. The 88 just gets the nod from me because of the custom graphics, though the 89 looks a bit racier

Is it the big one with loads of paint missing? That’s an 88. You can see the custom graphics on the rear stays

Is it the big one with loads of paint missing? That’s an 88. You can see the custom graphics on the rear stays
Yes, it's in Canada.
Do you think it would be a sin if I kept the T-bone stem and painted it solid red and put 89 decals on it?
I have a full Shimano XT drivetrain, Seatpost and Araya/Deore DX wheelset cleaned up waiting for a build.
I would just need a rear U-brake for this one. I have canti's.

I think that would be just fine. I mean it's a right mess right now so it's a blank canvas imo.

I think that would be just fine. I mean it's a right mess right now so it's a blank canvas imo.
Cool! I just may do that then.
That would put the parts from the 91 Muddy Fox Alu Pro to good use!

It's really a shame that there are cracks in the headtube of my 91' Muddy Fox Alu Pro.
I've owned that bike since it was new (1991). Muddy Fox are very rare here in the States.
It was a one-off from the shop I purchased from, they weren't MF dealers.
I will probably keep the Cockpit until I can find a really good TIG welder (maybe a shop that fixes motorbikes).

Back