1984 Claud Butler Majestic

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just picked this up following a probably not particularly smart eBay bid. It's lovely, but tatty and in need of a total rebuild. The spec appealed, as did the size and the (relatively) short stem. It looks like it will fit me without tweaks - but mechanically and cosmetically it's a bit sorry. Been looking for something with 27" wheels and Weinmann centre pulls for a while - this is the first local affordable thing to turn up.

So far all I've done is pulled out the seatpost, cleaned and regreased it, and put the clamp the right way round. It put up a bit of a fight but is AOK now so that's one worry out of the way...

Plan is for my usual clean up and rebuild but ignore the cosmetics. Maybe touch-in the paint, we'll see. It will remain a survivor and I plan to ride it. I'll try to keep it as original as possible but might treat it to a 7 speed indexed drivetrain to make it a bit more user friendly. I'll try to spend as little as possible... but then I've said that before.

I haven't yet decided whether to do this as a rolling resto or take it apart completely and do everything in one hit. I'll decide once I've taken it for a short test ride. Tyres seem to be holding air so we'll be good to go tomorrow morning.

Welcome thoughts on year. I think it's original apart from the rear mech (and the numerous accessories...)?

Attachments

• 3116ABE8-961C-418A-B367-35B6E1853A22.jpeg
    3116ABE8-961C-418A-B367-35B6E1853A22.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 988
Re: Claud Butler Majestic

Very nice... miss mine every day whilst my Colstar is off the road... saddle and as you said, rear mech not original.
I've got both in very good condition if you are interested?
Although obviously the Suntour mech isn't SIS compatible, but the Anatomic is very comfey

I've got some 105 kit that fitted well on mine;

Levers: Shimano SL-S434 (6 speed SIS)
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-105SC
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-105SC
Cassette: Shimano 6 speed SIS 13,15,17,19,21,23

Attachments

• Sella Italia Anatomic (2).jpeg
    Sella Italia Anatomic (2).jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 940
  • Sella Italia Anatomic (3).jpeg
    Sella Italia Anatomic (3).jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 940
Re:

Thanks Peachy. Am half tempted to revert to original rear mech, what model is it? I actually have some 105 bits here that I was thinking about using.

Re saddle: thanks, but I think it deserves a Brooks.

I'm looking forward to riding it - had a go on one a few years ago and my memory is one of unparalleled smoothness...

Bits I really need are a rear mudguard and a right hand brake lever hood.

I can do you a pair of slightly scruffy but functional mudguards for a fiver plus postage.

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":3ezm8yjm said:
Thanks Peachy. Am half tempted to revert to original rear mech, what model is it? I actually have some 105 bits here that I was thinking about using.

I'm looking forward to riding it - had a go on one a few years ago and my memory is one of unparalleled smoothness...

Original mech was a Suntour VX GT. very capable, just a shame it’s not indexed.

I respect your personal choice re-saddle, the Dalesman of the same year had a B17, so it’s not like your breaking the law :LOL:

Snap sort of, I think mines a bit later than yours.

This I bought as a bare frame, built it up once with period kit and its back as a bare frame again so will probably get built up again in the summer.

Attachments

• Claud Maj.JPG
    Claud Maj.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 915

Your stickers Allen look like a 79-81 version, Captains would be 82-86

Numbers please gentleman and we’ll soon sort it... (if anyone’s really interested :roll: )

Re: Re:

Peachy!":1is5lg6y said:
Captain Stupido":1is5lg6y said:

Original mech was a Suntour VX GT. very capable, just a shame it’s not indexed.

I respect your personal choice re-saddle, the Dalesman of the same year had a B17, so it’s not like your breaking the law :LOL:

Hehe... it might be a Team Professional for now. A B17 would be perfect, but I don't own one any more. I wonder what happened to my old one... I've actually got a VX GT here. Might have to try it. Is the Mountech front original do you think?

hamster":1is5lg6y said:
I can do you a pair of slightly scruffy but functional mudguards for a fiver plus postage.

That's generous, thank you. The fitted (ESGE?) mudguards are practical but I think the rear has been cut short. Ideally I'd like to get hold of a replacement rear with the same natty red stripe...but then I suppose beggars can't be choosers!

Attachments

• AD2DADF3-5846-4E31-9FBD-72E903861D97.jpeg
    AD2DADF3-5846-4E31-9FBD-72E903861D97.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 904

Peachy!":1g0128eh said:
Your stickers Allen look like a 79-81 version, Captains would be 82-86

Numbers please gentleman and we’ll soon sort it... (if anyone’s really interested :roll: )

Sounds about right. Here's a picture, I'm not sure I can read it. Lots of 8s.

Attachments

• 8AA7FE26-6924-4D14-B354-42AA0594C670.jpeg
    8AA7FE26-6924-4D14-B354-42AA0594C670.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 905

Ok, looks like 051988 to me? That would put yours firmly in 1983

Front mech would also have been a VX, but there’s not a lot between that and a Mountech really..

Attachments

• B04B2D5F-7E88-4816-A870-F287660F350B.jpeg
    B04B2D5F-7E88-4816-A870-F287660F350B.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 889
Back