1975 Claud Butler Electron - 531

Way after....... ;)

Attachments

• 399FF47A-370C-4596-A1D6-20793C56E6F2.jpeg
    399FF47A-370C-4596-A1D6-20793C56E6F2.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 806
But...........the bulge! Y'know, where the tape is supposed to start.........!

Yeah, I agree.......I don't really want to cover the engraving. Stoopid design....... :LOL:

Peachy!":boota9t9 said:
Way after....... ;)

Love the engraving on these bars - I assume one of your Clauds Peachy?

I missed out on a 50's Claud track bike on fb marketplace last year with these bars.......lovely! :)

sherlylock":2mfy5zg1 said:
Peachy!":2mfy5zg1 said:
Way after....... ;)

I missed out on a 50's Claud track bike on fb marketplace last year with these bars.......lovely! :)

Yarp... Dawes Concorde Pista engraved, they’re on my Jubilee. :cool:
Oh and they also have a bulge, but I’ve always assumed that’s so you can pull the rest of the bars through the stem more easily and has nothing to do with where the tape starts.... :?:

Peachy!":21mt2zd2 said:
sherlylock":21mt2zd2 said:
Peachy!":21mt2zd2 said:
Way after....... ;)

Yarp... Dawes Concorde Pista engraved, they’re on my Jubilee. :cool:
Oh and they also have a bulge, but I’ve always assumed that’s so you can pull the rest of the bars through the stem more easily and has nothing to do with where the tape starts.... :?:

They are lovely! The bulge on those must be quite narrow? Localised to where they sit through the stem? Can't see it in that pic otherwise.

I'd always assumed on bars where the bulged section is wider and has decorative markings that the end of the bulge is the natural start for the taping....?

Also - which way do I tape? I've always started at the top of the bars near the bulge, wrapping the tape over itself to start and then terminating with a bar plug in the open end of the bar tubing......presuming there's no right/wrong and it's just down to personal preference?

Some argue the tape twists “open” if you have it the wrong way, personally with the advent of double sided strips down the middle of the tape this is less likely.. I suppose it depends on how tight you hold your bars & how tight you wrap them?

As for which way, my Dad taught me to start at the plug and wrap over the top/towards you.

So.. if you are looking at the right plug you wrap clockwise towards the levers. And for the left you wrap anti-clockwise towards the levers

Attachments

• 29F13B5A-FECB-497D-9705-6B868009F3F4.jpeg
    29F13B5A-FECB-497D-9705-6B868009F3F4.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 763
Was hoping to get riding this by the end of the week but been a bit busier than expected.

It's mainly back together - I've omitted the original heavy industrial kickstand, the Brooks toeclips, Pletscher rear rack and the shorty mudguards......in two minds whether to fit the mudguards though......I think they look quite cool but are ultimately quite pointless.

I took it to work in the van on Friday and took it for a few laps of the industrial estate after work to see whats what. Wheels need work - I've cleaned them as best I can - I need a regina freewheel tool to get the rear freewheel off to clean it properly.....and the rear wheel has quite a buckle in it. So.....still a work in progress. A bit more tinkering over the weekend and I'll hopefully ride it in to work next week.

ta9YhCXl.jpg

Qyiebrwl.jpg

nhgOz4Ol.jpg

5XOoFjll.jpg

TIfCj7bl.jpg

JfK4hzMl.jpg

She looks spot on... if you don’t put it in RBotM I will ;)

Back