1968 - Worksop - Sun Snipe Plus..

I'm glad to hear the thread has got you in the mood for a project 'bagpuss'. Restoring the Snipe Plus has certainly given me many hours of pleasure, and the end result was most definitely worth it. It certainly brings back lots of memories of "my first sports bike" all those years ago, and just like you I rode miles on it, in all weathers too. Getting to school at 13, and then work when I was 15 years old depended on it..

Last edited:
A few more photo's of the machine.. the finished article.. nothing missing.. ha ha.. 😀

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    515.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 5a.JPG
    5a.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 6a.JPG
    6a.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 10
Well I have found a frame, which is on its way . I said no more projects a while back ,but hey we only come this way once . .
A few bits to find for the build ie c/p brakes and a Simplex prestige rear mech .

Well I have found a frame, which is on its way . I said no more projects a while back ,but hey we only come this way once . .
A few bits to find for the build ie c/p brakes and a Simplex prestige rear mech .
I note you're after a Simplex rear mech.. is this because your old Sun bike had one fitted originally, or as a preference re mech's. I ask.. because my Snipe Plus back in 1965 was fitted with a Huret Allvit mech as standard. The one on my project bike has long since gone of course and been replaced by a Shimano..

Attachments

• Huret Allvit 2nd generation.jpg
    Huret Allvit 2nd generation.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I note you're after a Simplex rear mech.. is this because your old Sun bike had one fitted originally, or as a preference re mech's. I ask.. because my bike back in 1965 was fitted with a Huret Allvit mech as standard. The one on my project bike has long since gone of course and been replaced by a Shimano..
Yes in a word > My Sun came with a Simplex rear gear . Mates have sorted me out with two to play with . Frame should be here any day .

As I said I did not really think I was going to do another project !? Your inspired me to follow a long held idea for my first Sports bike .
It will be an example and not totally true to the Sun catalogue of the time .

Yes in a word > My Sun came with a Simplex rear gear . Mates have sorted me out with two to play with . Frame should be here any day .

As I said I did not really think I was going to do another project !? Your inspired me to follow a long held idea for my first Sports bike .
It will be an example and not totally true to the Sun catalogue of the time .
Its funny what sometimes triggers a memory.. your mentioning of Simplex gear got me wracking my brains for a mech that seemed to be on a lot of bikes when I was a kid. I got there in the end.. Benelux. As a schoolboy I remember typical uninformed discussion/argument about their merits/demerits.. of course none of us knew what the hell we were talking about.. ha.. Bullsh*t reigned supreme.. ;)

Ok.. a few more pics, I think this is the last of them.. ha ha.. ;)

As I sit in front of my laptop with a howling gale and lashing rain going on outside, the sunshine and the finishing of my bike seems aeons away now.. Roll on the spring.. 👍

Attachments

• A8.JPG
    A8.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A7.JPG
    A7.JPG
    606.4 KB · Views: 4
  • A6.JPG
    A6.JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 4
  • A5.JPG
    A5.JPG
    523.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A4.JPG
    A4.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A3.JPG
    A3.JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 4
  • A2.JPG
    A2.JPG
    593.9 KB · Views: 4
  • A1.JPG
    A1.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 7
Its funny what sometimes triggers a memory.. your mentioning of Simplex gear got me wracking my brains for a mech that seemed to be on a lot of bikes when I was a kid. I got there in the end.. Benelux. As a schoolboy I remember typical uninformed discussion/argument about their merits/demerits.. of course none of us knew what the hell we were talking about.. ha.. Bullsh*t reigned supreme.. ;)
I think that still stands today and applies more to adults . Only the components are very expensive . 🤫😱

Well.. I think its about time to wrap up the thread on my Sun Snipe Plus refurb. I must say I've enjoyed doing it, and seeing its had 2k views gives me a great deal of pleasure, and I hope those who viewed the thread got something out of it too.

I've now got myself a lovely new/old 60s retro bike that I certainly didn't plan on having at the beginning of 2021. The bike will be a fair weather ride though.. after all.. it is a Sun!. :D She's under a bike cover at the moment in my workshop.

My daily ride/workhorse is a 27 speed, 12 year old Dawes Karakum, which if I'm honest is little more comfortable to ride than the Sun. However, I'm definitely looking forward to getting some rides in come Spring/Summer, and now I've got a couple of old Karrimor panniers hanging off the rear rack I can go prepared.

Re cost.. I think I ended up spending around £300 all in on the bike, and that included both the purchase of the bike itself, and the purchase of a Sun Snipe Prestige ( + £45 delivery) to take some parts from. Things purchased extra to what I had available from the two bikes included, a used Pletscher Rack, new SKS Bluemels Mudguards, used Huret down-tube shifters, used Shimano cable stop, new (old stock) Weinmann orange brake blocks, new (inner/outer) gear and brake cables, decals, and of course things like handlebar tape, paint, odd small fittings etc..

Overall though the bike is pretty original. I used both wheels, apart from being true, they polished up quite well, although the chrome on the front one isn't that good when you get up close. The Michelin World Tour tyres and tubes were fine. The Weinmann centre pulls are the originals and cleaned up really beautifully, along with the Brooks B15 saddle. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Maes handlebars, Weinmann levers with Sun hoods, Milremo stem, and 917 rat trap pedals, all came from the Sun Snipe Prestige, and were vital parts in getting the Snipe Plus to the spec I wanted. Oh, and I mustn't forget, the pump has been with the bike since new.

That leaves me of course with the Sun Snipe Prestige, minus the removed parts mentioned above. However, in the back of my mind I'm thinking I'll take my time and look out for those parts, and probably refurbish the bike at a later date, as and when. Another thread maybe... ;)

1968 Sun Snipe Plus.JPG

Last edited:
Back