1938/39 Parkes Lightweight

Some pictures from summer 2018 just before I did a period 50 miler through Henley with other riders on pre-50s bikes. I'm still using that horrible black alloy seatpost, I must swap it to a period-correct post!

1938-1939 Parkes 40.jpg

1938-1939 Parkes 41.jpg

1938-1939 Parkes 42.jpg

This was an old Dunlop tyre that came with the wheels. I kept it for a bit and took some pics for reference, just because there's so little info about old tubulars. It had a ribbed tread, quite a light sidewall and was about 27-28mm wide. I wasn't sure if it was 1-1/8" or just a very saggy 1"!

1938-1939 Parkes 27.jpg

1938-1939 Parkes 28.jpg

And finally, a ride in the sunshine during Lockdown 1. Only real change is I have swapped from quill pedals to flats. Quills look great but I never use slotted cleats. All a they ever do to me is wear my shoes out and do my knees in!

1938-1939 Parkes 43.jpg

Goodwood was this weekend, not last weekend…

Rode down solo from Egham/Staines yesterday which is about 55 miles, then home from Woking another 13 miles. Legs are absolutely shot! I know they’re pretty big hills down that way, but I am NOT used to riding up hills any more!

An epic restoration and an epic ride! Fab. My old Langsett is close to hitting the road. Awaiting new (old) 'guards courtesy Theeb of this parish. Will post some pics then.

Slightly annoyingly, my treasured Wrights W3 started to split just behind the nose after I’d been carrying a few heavy things in my bag. I hit a particularly nasty speed bump on Friday and it tore through to a rivet. RIP saddle :(

2B196721-422D-40EC-8A15-C76D8AB6CDC3.jpeg

It was also feeling a bit wobbly at the back. Two completely loose spokes in the back wheel and the rest all over the place. Amazingly, it was still running pretty true. It must have been really flapping about with weight on it. Took the opportunity to give it a once over. I’ve tightened all the spokes and trued both wheels, shortened the chain, repositioned the chainring and adjusted the brake. Rides fantastically in comparison!

CAA3E997-4D96-4269-AF82-75029F900566.jpeg

Went out for a rare ride in full vintage gear yesterday evening. Just as I came into the loop home from Windsor, I spotted this fairly fresh-looking road kill. By the look of it with little damage. Did the last 8 miles home with it hooked under my fingers on the bars! In hindsight, I could have taken a toeclip strap off and tied it to the bars - noted for next time. Anyway, I don’t like it too gamey, so I prepared it last night. No damage at all. Beautifully fresh pheasant for dinner this week!

FF1EA14C-AAE5-44ED-BBA2-6D9BB948A87E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back