1 1/8" Threaded headset suggestions

1bhp

Retro Guru
I'm looking for a nice looking headset for threaded 1 1/8" steerer, ideally sealed bearings, I just want to fit and forgot, any suggestions other than Tange?

cheers. B

Re: Re:

troje":14355plp said:
Chris King 2nut? Ticks the look, seal and fit and forget boxes.

The gripnut one? Yeh, I have CK on another bike and it's faultless, I just cant find them for less than £150... Was hoping for something a bit below that tbh!

King if you want to spend the money, otherwise is there any particular reason for no Tange? Their Falcon headset has alloy cups and locknut, replaceable cartridge bearings and can be bought new easily from Ebay for under £30 posted.

benjabbi":1gsd63xq said:
King if you want to spend the money, otherwise is there any particular reason for no Tange? Their Falcon headset has alloy cups and locknut, replaceable cartridge bearings and can be bought new easily from Ebay for under £30 posted.

tbh, no not really, likely I'll end up there, I just wasn't sure if there was something I'd missed... I have found some NOS shimano ones LX/DX/XTR, but not sure if they're really any better than Tange...

I just wish Hope did or do threaded. Cheers. B

The Tange one I mentioned is virtually identical to a Shimano XT 740, if you want to match the rest of the group or it 'must' be period then a Shimano headset is a good bet.
I own headsets from FSA, Hope, King, Cane Creek and Tange and do think that once you get past the super cheap open bearing stuff, that as long as they're assembled, greased and adjusted correctly they're all much of a muchness. :D

benjabbi":6oaqm5ag said:
The Tange one I mentioned is virtually identical to a Shimano XT 740, if you want to match the rest of the group or it 'must' be period then a Shimano headset is a good bet.
I own headsets from FSA, Hope, King, Cane Creek and Tange and do think that once you get past the super cheap open bearing stuff, that as long as they're assembled, greased and adjusted correctly they're all much of a muchness. :D

thanks mate, yeh sounds about right, Tange sounds like the way then...

Re:

I had a challenge on a 1inch orange re headsets - I know you are looking for 1 and eighth - but the story is relevant since I also latched onto the latest Tange sets, a nice black anodised one with enduro sealed races. Only 18:00, went in easily, sat nicely, and worked in my son's school bike for a year without any issues at all. Very Hope-like. After a year, no play, no need to adjust. I think they are well-engineered, discreet and nice things.

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":23yh416n said:
I had a challenge on a 1inch orange re headsets - I know you are looking for 1 and eighth - but the story is relevant since I also latched onto the latest Tange sets, a nice black anodised one with enduro sealed races. Only 18:00, went in easily, sat nicely, and worked in my son's school bike for a year without any issues at all. Very Hope-like. After a year, no play, no need to adjust. I think they are well-engineered, discreet and nice things.

cheer mate, yeh, I think this is probably one of those places very much for function over form!

Back