zoom brake pad change

eric_james

Senior Retro Guru
My friend wants me to change her brake pads
she sent some pics, thing is I want to know what I'm doing when I get there :D

Do these look like the magnetic type or the clip in type?

thanks

Attachments

• zoom1.jpg
    zoom1.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 16
  • zoom2.jpg
    zoom2.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 16
for the cost of the brake have you thought about changing the whole thing?

also, those pads don't look like they need changing.

It's not my bike it's a friends and it does what she wants it to do :)

novocaine, I'll post a pic of the inner pad
It's been dragging on the inside, I told her to turn the big allen key head on the inside and it sorted that out and now pulls evenly, but the inner pad is totally worn out

Attachments

• zoom3.jpg
    zoom3.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 10
To be fair that gunk on the whole caliper looks pretty greasy so even if they werent worn, that wouldnt be helping them. Is it a halfords bike?

check the wheel bearings.

take the buggers off the bike and give em a good scrub, remove the arm and reapply grease to the balls and ramps.
cry a little bit.

good luck.

Thanks for that, it actually turned out fine, cleaned and sorted out the caliper
they were actually the magnetic type
halfords is just round the corner from her house so I just went in there and got the right pads for £9.99
she needed the bike so no point looking for cheaper
Used some brake and clutch cleaner and also on the disc

due to the caliper pad adjustment screw, the large one on the inside of the caliper is what ruined the old inner pad

Thanks for that, it actually turned out fine, cleaned and sorted out the caliper
they were actually the magnetic type
halfords is just round the corner from her house so I just went in there and got the right pads for £9.99
she needed the bike so no point looking for cheaper
Used some brake and clutch cleaner and also on the disc

due to the caliper pad adjustment screw, the large one on the inside of the caliper is what ruined the old inner pad
theres a lock nut on the back one that everybody forgets to tighten, it then rotates inwards over time thanks to heat and vibration.

the original design that Zoom, Clarkes, Tektro and many others stole had a metric fine thread on it, the copies dont so it's a bitch to set up.

glad you got sorted.

Back