YOU decide! A build question.

sinnerman":18mkvgmy said:
you mention the geometry is staggeringly different...? what differences instantly jump out at you...???? do you/could you take some good pics of the two side by side/together...???

The Ritchey is a 17" frame, the Yates is a 16" (both frames measured centre to centre). Despite being the smaller frame, the top tube on the Yates is an inch longer and the wheelbase is just under an inch longer.

The Yates is noticably more stretched out and 'racy' than the Ritchey. On a bike of this age I'd normally fit a 130mm stem as standard but its clear that the Yates needs a shorter stem.

The Ritchey feels cramped in comparison and the original stem feels high and close. I trust Tom, I'll build it and ride it before I pass judgement :)

Russell":3n8s5vnt said:
sinnerman":3n8s5vnt said:
you mention the geometry is staggeringly different...? what differences instantly jump out at you...???? do you/could you take some good pics of the two side by side/together...???

The Ritchey is a 17" frame, the Yates is a 16" (both frames measured centre to centre). Despite being the smaller frame, the top tube on the Yates is an inch longer and the wheelbase is just under an inch longer.

The Yates is noticably more stretched out and 'racy' than the Ritchey. On a bike of this age I'd normally fit a 130mm stem as standard but its clear that the Yates needs a shorter stem.

The Ritchey feels cramped in comparison and the original stem feels high and close. I trust Tom, I'll build it and ride it before I pass judgement :)

I Shall pull up a chair, and look forward to finding out how this turns out.... :cool:

the_duke":2sksnjzw said:
dirttorpedo":2sksnjzw said:
Being a Canadian who lives near the birthplace of Rocky Mountain bikes I'd give the XT to the Rocky.

:?: Have I missed something?

I would give the MT60 to the Ritchey. Think it would fit the idea that this was a Ritchey real folk could afford.

Plus the XT would be more than suitable for the lovely Yates! Win win.

Luke

Nope - just biased. Never heard of the Yates.

Slightly off topic, but with relevance to a couple of earlier posts - I 'think' that as coincidence would have it early Ritchey bikes were imported / sold by Rocky Mountain in Canada.

Essentially what I'm saying, is that the flippant remark about RM actually inadvertently has some connection from an historical context - even if the OP did not intend it...

BB

BoyBurning":36ljiq5c said:
Slightly off topic, but with relevance to a couple of earlier posts - I 'think' that as coincidence would have it early Ritchey bikes were imported / sold by Rocky Mountain in Canada.

Essentially what I'm saying, is that the flippant remark about RM actually inadvertently has some connection from an historical context - even if the OP did not intend it...

BB

Ah... only Canadians would have understood then, or yourself :)

Two lovely bikes look forward to seeing them completed and out on the trails :cool:

Couldnt decide on group set choice either :LOL:

Both really nice! But the Yates is super mega gorgeous

The Yates merits the XT for sure it'll be the only gruppo of the two that would look 'right' in my eyes

The Ritchey will look cool with Deore, it looks really vintage it'll be a nice aesthetic vibe, I reckon

Looks the poll is coming out with a clear result

Back