Yeti Ultimate

Time for a little update.

Firstly seatpost(s), I thought I had a number of choices at my disposal, but it seems that the frame has some very fine tolerances.
Bearing in mind the frame came to me with a (cracked) 3dv 26.8 Ringle Moby - I thought changing that to another of a different colour would be straight forward, but no. It seems the replacement is more likely a 27dia as on my callipers it reads just north of 26.8, and subsequently won’t fit beyond an inch or so. Mind you, the 3dv item was also a very snug and would bind up after a certain depth of insertion.
014D353D-660F-41D4-8DC5-77557E0D9AB6.jpeg
Next choice was a black Tioga post, stamped as 26.8 - so clearly the right size. Nope. Even that one binds up after a certain depth. It does at least measure under 26.8 on the callipers, but I think it has a slight flare at the bottom which is obviously the first part to enter.
A49D1CCD-5FAA-4619-9EFC-7CB31DF0A4AE.jpeg
This has left me with no choice other than to run with a Shimano DX item - again stamped 26.8, but it fits without any drama. It measures even thinner again on the callipers…
164DDB7C-888F-4F64-98F0-726852620AD5.jpeg

Now for a slightly more decadent change.

I picked up a Tioga Disc Drive Pro last year as part of a full bike purchase, however it hasn’t been without its own issues. It’s on a DX hub, but has been fitted with an 8 speed freehub - which despite my best endeavours (and fear of damaging something) I just can’t shift in order to change back to a 7 speed item. So I’ve installed a spacer so I can stick with a 7 speed cassette.
AD84AA64-6D36-490B-B81D-108674D56B2C.jpeg

51ECD08A-F87D-41B5-939B-9C2C6856E6F8.jpeg

Time for a little update.

Firstly seatpost(s), I thought I had a number of choices at my disposal, but it seems that the frame has some very fine tolerances.
Bearing in mind the frame came to me with a (cracked) 3dv 26.8 Ringle Moby - I thought changing that to another of a different colour would be straight forward, but no. It seems the replacement is more likely a 27dia as on my callipers it reads just north of 26.8, and subsequently won’t fit beyond an inch or so. Mind you, the 3dv item was also a very snug and would bind up after a certain depth of insertion.
View attachment 556435
Next choice was a black Tioga post, stamped as 26.8 - so clearly the right size. Nope. Even that one binds up after a certain depth. It does at least measure under 26.8 on the callipers, but I think it has a slight flare at the bottom which is obviously the first part to enter.
View attachment 556436
This has left me with no choice other than to run with a Shimano DX item - again stamped 26.8, but it fits without any drama. It measures even thinner again on the callipers…
View attachment 556437

Now for a slightly more decadent change.

I picked up a Tioga Disc Drive Pro last year as part of a full bike purchase, however it hasn’t been without its own issues. It’s on a DX hub, but has been fitted with an 8 speed freehub - which despite my best endeavours (and fear of damaging something) I just can’t shift in order to change back to a 7 speed item. So I’ve installed a spacer so I can stick with a 7 speed cassette.
View attachment 556438

View attachment 556439
Looking good. Have you ridden it with the disc on? I managed to buy a Disc about 15 years ago on ebay for about £75 but was quite badly damaged and not salvageable. Raised some eyebrows at the Bromley Bike Shop when I brought it in to see if it could be fixed!

On the seatpost, mine has had a USE post since new mainly as I couldn’t afford a Syncros or Ringle at the time (I think Mike had a part time job but I didn’t).
I had a similar issue with my recent Yo Eddy build and ended up just getting some shims imstead

I’ve ridden around the garden, does that count? 😂
I’ll get out for a proper ride once the weather has cooled down a bit 🥵

Re:

I had another look late last night through my stash of MBI mags and they were Ridgeback/Cycleland team in 1990.

Found this too on FB last night and copied some of the text. - Unusual colour scheme as was resprayed by API Respray from new for Yeti importer Evolution Imports. We are guessing its approx from 1993.
My orange and grey Yeti count has now doubled…will update this thread with a pic of them together when/if there is a break in the rain :cool:

Love it. Wanted that myself but didn't have the funds available right now. Great buy and looks to be in good condition. The orange also looks more vivid too, which is nice

I’d been watching it for ages on eBay, but the price was just too strong for what it is. I offered a bit less, got rejected, so went back and forth with seller for a while. Ended up doing the deal away from eBay and it turns out I new the seller as he was a team mate of mine from ‘93! He was an ex Bromley Cycles employee and knew all the previous owners of the other FROs and Ultimates mentioned on this thread.

The orange is stronger on this one that’s for sure, but the ratio is a bit different, and without the stem or forks being in the same colour it’s a little off.

Specification to be improved over time :cool:

Last edited:
I was very tempted by the FRO as well. I had a bit of back and forth with the seller but sadly it was just too small for me and would have ended up a rather expensive wall hanger and I've already got too many of those. Nice to see it's gone to a good home.

Back