XT M730 rear hub freehub swap

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have an XT M730 rear hub with the original 6 speed UG freehub body. My plan is to swap it for a later 7s HG type body. But it's a hub only at the moment and I can't get enough leverage on the bolt to undo it without building it into a wheel. Before I do only to find that for some reason it's incompatible, can anyone confirm if the XT 6s UG body uses the "standard" freehub fitting?

No, I can access the 10mm hollow bolt that holds the freehub onto the hub body, but it needs a fair bit of leverage, more than I can get with just the hub alone. I could clamp it in a vice but don't have anything suitable to protect it and don't want to damage it. Built into a wheel and with an extender on the 10mm allen key it would be no problem. I just don't want to build into a wheel and take apart just to find that it's not compatible 🤦‍♂️
Although I'm 99% sure it will be...

I know what you mean but if you put a cassette on, the chain whip will allow you get enough leverage.

Attachments

• IMG_20220329_124449.jpg
    IMG_20220329_124449.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 4
I'd look for a 7sp hub, then sell the 6 speed.
Doubt it'll be any more in the long run.

Edit, mainly as it'll come with the correct spacer layout etc.
But a freehub is a freehub in that era and the, 90s.
Spacers and seals differ as designs changed.

Last edited:
I already have a couple of spare freehub bodies, a longer spindle and all the bits so will transplant them instead of looking for a new hub

Back