Sorted XS cheap hardtail frame

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
My son is starting secondary school for the first time in September. He’s just about to grow out of his 24” wheeled bike so I’d like to get something he’ll be able to ride to school on. Maybe spend a couple of days putting it together with him.

I’ve got everything I need except a suitably sized frame. Looking for something extra small, ideally quite lightweight and ready for disc brakes (for street cred that I never had). Ideally something cheap for when he inevitably leaves it leant against a wall somewhere. Can anyone help, please?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I did the same for my son a year or so ago. Used a spesh hsrdrock frame and over specced it with Sid forks, use, hope, Thompson among other parts. It turned out really nice and very light. He outgrew it very quickly as he's now a very tall 13 year old.

I can sell as much or as little as you need. If interested let me know and I'll grab some pics.

Hi Russell, just found this kona on fleabay with 5 days left, is advertised as a jump frame though

That looks like a good idea. Not sure what sets a dirt jump bike apart from others. Is it just a very strong frame? Will watch that auction and see what I can find out about that model or type. Thanks for the tip!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I did the same for my son a year or so ago. Used a spesh hsrdrock frame and over specced it with Sid forks, use, hope, Thompson among other parts. It turned out really nice and very light. He outgrew it very quickly as he's now a very tall 13 year old.

I can sell as much or as little as you need. If interested let me know and I'll grab some pics.
Sounds like just what I was planning. He’s moving up from a Specialized Hot Rock so hopefully a Hardrock would be similar. I’ve got tons of parts waiting to fit but would be interested to know more about the frame if you’re moving it on!

we have some small 26 frames
jump/trials frames are just overbuilt small frames
but 26 jump and old skool trials frames make perfect bikes for younger riders to chuck about

That looks like a good idea. Not sure what sets a dirt jump bike apart from others. Is it just a very strong frame? Will watch that auction and see what I can find out about that model or type. Thanks for the tip!
Just stronger basically. Size and proportions wise it's just a small hardtail.. not all jump bikes are good for gears but a lot of older ones are

Back