WTD: Mid 90s race frame

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi there, because I have a nice wheelset hanging around which I'd like to get into the dirt again, I am looking for a mid 90s race frame, suspension corrected and with 1 1/8" HT, around 19".

Material is not that important ...

Thanks!
Marco

Re:

maybe but I don't understand what a mid 90's race frame is.

Which years? and which brands ? and which models?

I have a 98 kona Kilauea in 19"

Well: mid 90s (not early and not late 90s) so 1994-1997. Size (as mentioned) around 19"
A race frame in my understanding is a light weight frame specific build for XC races in mind (for instance no brazeons for racks, etc.). No specific brands though. But suspension corrected geo

I kind of follow you except the suspension corrected geometry bit. Frames from that era would have been made for a small axle to crown measurement. It would need a fork from the same era otherwise it would upset the geometry.

Would you be running canti or V brakes? 94/95 frames would be designed for canti brakes which might make finding a suitable suspension fork more difficult

I've used a manitou R7 80mm travel fork with a 1997 kona Hei Hei and the fork was too long for the frame.

oaklec":rbxy41rc said:
I kind of follow you except the suspension corrected geometry bit. Frames from that era would have been made for a small axle to crown measurement. It would need a fork from the same era otherwise it would upset the geometry.

Would you be running canti or V brakes? 94/95 frames would be designed for canti brakes which might make finding a suitable suspension fork more difficult

I've used a manitou R7 80mm travel fork with a 1997 kona Hei Hei and the fork was too long for the frame.
Of course it would take a period correct fork, a Judy for instance but there is as well a difference in geo and handling if you put a fork like this in a frame which is made for 39.5 AC rigid forks... Pending frame I can imagine running either canti or Vbrake ...

Back