Wanted Mid to high-end steel mountainbike frame

In search of a mid to high-end slick steel mountainbike frame originated in the early 90's.

Inspired by some frames that went up for sale recently (but that eventually not ended up in my place; too expensive, too small, too ?),
I've created a shortlist of some brands that I desire: Voodoo, Marin, Orange, Rocky Mountain, American Eagle, etcetera.

Especially the last one is high on the list since I have parts of brands laying around that were mounted on a '96 Olympic bike from that brand.
I do not want to create a duplicate but build up a bike that could be considered as the champion's poorer brother (or even nephew);
Magura rim brakes, Crossmax wheels, Magura Rond WP suspension, XTR derailleurs, that kind of thing.

Some do's and dont's;
As big as possible.
1 1/8" headtube.
May be in a sorry state but constructional intact; love to do my own paintjob and decalling.
Prefably without fork.

I know there are a few dutchies around on this on site; please be invited to reach out.

Do you have something laying around, please sent me a PM.

Last edited:
Hi Hein,

Next to what I believe is one of your bikes, I came across a 97 AE and a Gazelle 853 MBike on Marktplaats. The latter has a frame size of 57cm and is located in Echt, Limburg. Not sure about the headtube diameter though..
Or a large Batavus Buster frame, in Scherpenzeel?
Could that be options to consider?

Hi Double-E F,

Thanks for the help, travelling distances are not so much the issue.
I have this basic principle (in order to protect myself from buying EVERYTHING) to have as little material in stock as is sufficient for my next build. And since I've still collected a nice pair of wheels, a front suspension and so-on, I'm on the hunt for a single frame.
The Gazelle you mentioned is oh so nice, but it's finished.
Haven't found the AE though?
It's such a pity that this one is too small:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/fietse...can-eagle-pikes-peak-frame-met-vaste-zadelpen

I fully understand.
I'll try to see if I can find the AE I came across yesterday.
If you run into something with a pair of steel forks in 1 1/8", I'd be interested to take those off your hands..!

:D

It's around the corner if you want me to grab it.
Thanks, but I do not ask you to pick it up.
I'm trying to get rid of unusable stuff, therefore I'm in search of a frame alone.
Besides, this headset looks 1"-ish? ..and I have this Magura WP fork that I'm dying to build in (being 1 1/:cool:
Keep on searching! haha

Did you see the alleged steel DEAN frame that has been on Marktplaats for ages?
I don't believe it is actually a DEAN, but could be a nice frame nonetheless.

I actually saw it in real life!
I bougt an neglected but rideable Koga Worldtraveller from them and on the promise that I drove it back, got a nice discount.
I witnessed the Dean gem and a lot (a lot!!) other very nice bikes.
Still, the highest bid is obviously not enough because it remains on MP.
And I'm not going to pay more ...

Back