Worrying my bike may be too big

Perrin21":8lpqictm said:
here is the height of the seat currently.
1D55BB9A-3CCC-4760-B087-7B7C3FA96290.jpg
that's clearly WAY too big for you. Unless you're strictly gauging riding this on road and never off road, as there's no way there's enough clearance for your crown jewels if/when you suddenly need to dismount from the saddle!!! :facepalm:

RockiMtn":2e8fbkho said:
Unless you're strictly gauging riding this on road and never off road, as there's no way there's enough clearance for your crown jewels if/when you suddenly need to dismount from the saddle!!! :facepalm:

I've always wondered if that really happened. I mean, if you look at old pictures of "Rough Stuff" type riding groups, the frames they ride on are enormous by modern standards. And if you go back past about 1989ish, the advice for sizing a mountain bike was an inch smaller than a tourer. You just don't hear about top tube/goolies incidents, do you?

I bet five people will say they've done it now.

chris667":1ztqobj5 said:
RockiMtn":1ztqobj5 said:
Unless you're strictly gauging riding this on road and never off road, as there's no way there's enough clearance for your crown jewels if/when you suddenly need to dismount from the saddle!!! :facepalm:

I've always wondered if that really happened. I mean, if you look at old pictures of "Rough Stuff" type riding groups, the frames they ride on are enormous by modern standards. And if you go back past about 1989ish, the advice for sizing a mountain bike was an inch smaller than a tourer. You just don't hear about top tube/goolies incidents, do you?

I bet five people will say they've done it now.

I'll bet those 5 are or have ridden an MTB that is too big for them. :shock:
When I remember back to my, and my friends, childhood/teenage years there were a few bollocks to top tube interactions due to riding bikes that were the "you'll grow to fit it" size favoured by our parents.
The Rough Stuff reference isn't really relevant as back then there weren't any MTBs with the requisite smaller frames for riding off-road, they rode their road-type bikes because that is what they had.
Maybe the reason you don't hear too much about top tube/goolies incidents is because people now ride bikes off-road in the correct size.
MTBs are designed to be ridden with a decent amount of top tube clearance with the other dimensions sized accordingly.

That 19" bike is way too big for a 5'6" person. How do I know? I'm a shortarse too at 5'6", my bikes are 16", anything over 17" is where I'm in trouble with getting off the bike on rough ground, whether quickly or otherwise. My 'nads would be black and blue on a 19". :roll:

old_coyote_pedaller":1dxvkut3 said:
The Rough Stuff reference isn't really relevant as back then there weren't any MTBs with the requisite smaller frames for riding off-road, they rode their road-type bikes because that is what they had.

True, that is what they had. All I'm saying is I haven't heard stories of that happening.

We'll never know. Or, probably, care. :LOL:

It may look odd, but if you aren't having terrible, manhood damaging accidents it doesn't matter what size the frame is. So long as the contact points(pedals, grips, saddle) are in the right place for you, it is reasonable to say the bike fits.

So my response to the OP is ride your bike and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back