World Cup Brazil 2014

highlandsflyer":2ynn4piv said:
I am a tad pissed off at the pundits talking as though getting through the group stage shall be fine, as though Uruguay and Costa Rica pose no challenge. Uruguay have a higher ranking than Italy, regardless of how dubious the Fifa rankings are, and Costa Rica thumped them. So in the conkers stakes, it is still a mountain to climb.

Costa Rica are no mugs based on Saturday's performance, Campbell in particular was a class act.

David

Re:

Same old England: Defenders passing the ball between themselves for 30 or 40 seconds. Long balls to nobody in particular. Wingers racing up the pitch, only to find that there's no-one in support.

I went to bed after the first Italy goal.

David B is right; if Costa Rica play against England the way they played against Uruguay, it's going to be a rout.

Re:

Love the World Cup for it's quality, different playing styles and the whole human festival, it's great. I never watch club football though, not a commited football fan, just enjoy the World Cup.
Having watched the last few World Cups i sense a familiar trend in England's game and seems to be happening again if the first game is anything to go by. England seem to 'play not to lose' rather than 'play to win'. So it's a bit frustrating watching them. However... when they are a goal down and on the ropes (the usual scenario!) they exhibit tremendous tenacity and determination. It's almost as if they have to be on the back foot before we see what they are capable of. Usually it ends up being too little too late. Again.. :roll:

Re:

Only 6 out of 46 teams that lost their first match made it through to the knockout stage.

Read that somewhere ... but surely that number is too low.

The car flag sellers must be getting worried.

Re:

They think it's all over , is it now ?
Or do we have to rely on certain other teams losing ?
What was the score anyhow ?

Back