Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er latest pics page 6

Re: Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er

really nice bike....thanks for the info on 29ers and 1 x 11....just about to enter this world myself (back and shoulders just can't take more than 4 hours on an early 90s geometry bike now that I'm nearly 40....).

which Hope wheels did you get? I'm probably going to get some, leaning toward the enduro ones just for the extra rim width on high volume tyres.

Rodrigues":1xx9hof9 said:
really nice bike....thanks for the info on 29ers and 1 x 11....just about to enter this world myself (back and shoulders just can't take more than 4 hours on an early 90s geometry bike now that I'm nearly 40....).

which Hope wheels did you get? I'm probably going to get some, leaning toward the enduro ones just for the extra rim width on high volume tyres.

Thanks for the comments mate. I went for the XC Hopes as I don't do any jumping or big drops on my kind of trails. But i regularily ride bomb holes, cattlegrid style root hell and a few small jumps (4ft max) and the XC ones have not missed a beat in 18months and around 5000 miles. Also when I bought the wheels I was 17 1/2 stone...I am now 15 1/2 so they have taken a beating! As far as tyre width goes I am running a Schalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" front and a Nobby Nic rear 2.25" with no issues. Couple the rims with the Hope Pro Evo 2 Hubs and your on a winner for around £350! As far as tyre pressures go...I run 28psi on the rear and 25 on the front and as I say I am a big guy! Get the fork length to suit your own ride position and play around with stem length is my advice...I am running a 100mm travel fork and a 85mm stem length and that works for me...i too can't handle the old skool geometry for every day riding. Dont be afraid get into 29"!

Awesome - thanks for the very useful info. How does the 2.35 upfront sit in the rim?

Definitely getting hope hubs - but toying with a wider rim, maybe the Velocity P35. I'll run the bike fully rigid mostly - it's a Salsa El Mar btw. Hoping the combo of high volume 29er tyres plus a good steel fork and carbon bars works out :cool:

Rodrigues":216f71xq said:
Awesome - thanks for the very useful info. How does the 2.35 upfront sit in the rim?

Definitely getting hope hubs - but toying with a wider rim, maybe the Velocity P35. I'll run the bike fully rigid mostly - it's a Salsa El Mar btw. Hoping the combo of high volume 29er tyres plus a good steel fork and carbon bars works out :cool:

It sits just fine and thats with some bomb crater type action...when playing around with pressures I went down as far as 23 psi and burped it off the rim on a twisty drop off so now head north of 25psi and no issues...I did think about going for the Enduro Hope rims but glad I went for the XC. I looked at that Salsa when I bought the Santa Cruz Higball...its a good frame. If you are riding rigid maybe consider a 29+ tyre that is wider around 3" if your frame/forks could take it? If not the Hans Dampf is amazing!

Great stuff Doug. Lovely bike.

I have 1 X 10 on two bikes (one with an expander cog one without), will definitely get the new XT eventually. Group sets are so much cheaper than the old days where three chainrings a would set you back £50!

superstu":112bg5bt said:
Great stuff Doug. Lovely bike.

I have 1 X 10 on two bikes (one with an expander cog one without), will definitely get the new XT eventually. Group sets are so much cheaper than the old days where three chainrings a would set you back £50!

Mate if you hold out and want to do it on a budget Shimano now has SLX 11 speed! M7000 and you are looking at something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod148625

You could go with different cranks (older XT) and reduce the price further...I recon you could do the lot for sub £200

Re:

Oh and as far as the bike goes...fed up with the Praxis BB and I have on order an FSA PF30 to BSA threaded adaptor for the frame and a nice red Hope BB to fit it!

Re: Re:

wookiee":1czvd2yu said:
Oh and as far as the bike goes...fed up with the Praxis BB and I have on order an FSA PF30 to BSA threaded adaptor for the frame and a nice red Hope BB to fit it!
Was just about to say that you can get an adaptor, best solution by all accounts!

That SLX has to be the way forward. Fits 10 speed Shimano freehub too (unlike SRAM which need own freehub for 11 speed).

Re: Re:

superstu":28d5wwq8 said:
wookiee":28d5wwq8 said:
Was just about to say that you can get an adaptor, best solution by all accounts!

That SLX has to be the way forward. Fits 10 speed Shimano freehub too (unlike SRAM which need own freehub for 11 speed).

Don't know why press fit became so popular other than cost to the frame builder...

Latest posts

Back