Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er latest pics page 6

Re: Wookiee's 2015 Travers Rudy Ti 29er

Very nice Douglas. Interested to see how you get on with the gears.

The History Man":t53rfz42 said:
Very nice Douglas. Interested to see how you get on with the gears.

Seriously try it...it works! I have 11 X 1 now with a rear cassette of 11-42!! And a 32T front ring and I can honestly say I have all the gears I need. And its so nice to not be thinking about what front ring you need for the next section or shifting rings for a climb or descent.

...remember how I told you 29ers were the mutts nuts...well the 1 X 11 setup coats the mutts nuts in gold!

Doug

Gravy Monster":8l9isizs said:
wookiee":8l9isizs said:
.well the 1 X 11 setup coats the mutts nuts in gold!

Doug

You have been well educated Doug ;)

Fair point...James was instrumental in the leap away from my double front setup!

F**kin Yoda he is...love's a green bike too!

wookiee":31bqlmkk said:
Gravy Monster":31bqlmkk said:
wookiee":31bqlmkk said:
.well the 1 X 11 setup coats the mutts nuts in gold!

Doug

You have been well educated Doug ;)

Fair point...James was instrumental in the leap away from my double front setup!

F**kin Yoda he is...love's a green bike too!

I'm green with envy

Re: Re:

The History Man":gjove8jx said:
Sounds like it's time for another then............

Try it and then tell me you don't have enough gears! ;) It cost me £260 for a new XT rear mech, chain, 11 speed cassette 11-42, rear 11 speed shifter and crankset with 32T ring. By the time you sell off your double set up that has got to help towards the outlay...I've spent more on 2 new rear tyres on the Beema!

Doug

Re:

Its been a while and I have put over 2000 miles on the Travers now. F**king love this bike! It is the best bike that I have ridden. It has been through another winter of sloppy mud and daily riding from me. I have had to replace the following!

- Cassette
- Chain X2
- Chainrings X3 (original is still ok Absolute Black oval ring didn't last 400 miles! currently running a red Superstar)
- Jockey wheels
- Rear freehub bearings
- Headset bearings
- BB bearings X3! Dont rate the Praxis at all!
- Rear shifter and brake lever!

But it is a top ride...really agile despite the 29" wheels and 760mm bars! (when its dry!) The Hope wheels are flippin ace I have not had to true them since I bought them and the hubs were easy to service. The BB is shite...£60 and I have had to replace the bearings 3 times at £14 a pop. in under a year. As soon as it gets wet the seals (which are separate to the bearings) squeak, and corrode quickly. I am going to get an FSA press fit to threaded adapter and get a threaded XT or XTR in there as soon as funds allow! The Absolute Black oval chainring was a big disappointment...I was riding it in muddy UK winter but after under 400 miles it started to chain suck. changed chain even worse. Stuck the spec Shimano one back on (with around 600miles on it) and all was fine. Contacted Absolute Black and they came up with a bunch of reasons as to why the ring had worn so quickly including:

- Riding for too long in muddy conditions
- Using the upper or lower 2 rear sprockets for too long (chain line wears the ring prematurely!)
- Not using a brand new chain even though the chain fitted was less than 100miles old and showed no wear with a tool.

Absolute shite I would say!

On a positive note the best winter tyres ever? Specialized Storm Control! And the current tyre choice works a treat. Nobby Nic 2.25 on the rear and Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front...maybe if it gets drier I might change but the good old British summer has yet to arrive here!

Oh and the local ladies loved it last night!

Attachments

• Travers July 2016.jpg
    Travers July 2016.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 353
Back