wireless internet

I moved back to the UK from Madrid in 2007, before i left i was on 20mb (18-19mb actual) and that was early 2006 to 2007.... before 2006 i was on around 10 i think.

The UK is only just moving to 20mb, when the rest of the world is moving on to the next generation :roll:

I currently have around 2mb :roll:

Still, i remember when upgraded my modem from 9.6 to 14.4kbit/s and i thought that was the business :cool:

i did a speed test earlier and got a bit over 2mb . was massively disappointed as the average for lincs is around 20 , then i realised we were probably only paying for 2 :LOL:

i find it pretty quick anyway . it only becomes slow when i try to stream too much telly . i can cancel out the mrs watching casualty by using limewire :LOL:

You also need to be aware that the max speed they quote is just for images and text. Anything else, like p2p (that's bittorrent, limewire etc.) and streaming media / voice is usually "Traffic shaped" onto the B-roads of the internet to keep the exchange traffic down and reduce the need for new exchanges to be forked out for.

IMHO on an ISP where traffic shaping is rigidly enforced, it's not worth forking out for much more than the basic broadband service. This was the case with Pipex. I noticed my p2p traffic was slower and slower despite me paying for the fastest service they had. Then I learned of traffic shaping and quit them once the contract was up.

Fast.co.uk didn't traffic shape in any way and the speeds were great, but you pay for this luxury.

You may also want to check out what companies have presence at your local exchange as they may have unbundled their dependence on BT (this is known as LLU; Local Loop Unbundling) which basically means their own dedicated kit is doing the work rather than the heavily-contended BT kit that the other ISPs are leasing out.

I'm currently with o2 (who have LLU in my exchange) and it's pretty good; I get about 6M/s and p2p is still fast. And I get it for £2.50 a month as part of a haggle for the mobile deal.

LGF, I'd go for GPRS dongle too if your local BT link is that slow.

:twisted: :twisted: wasted half a day waiting. Virgin turn up can't connect me as no cable in the ground :shock:

So stuck with Tiscali. which means no web 90% of the evening. :(

I can't be arsed with Virgin :x and ticali is just :twisted: :twisted:

This morning, I've had the BT (sorry, "OpenReach") engineer round to fix the problem with my line. It's been crackling -- but intermittently; my biggest fear was that he was going to turn up just when it was as clear as a bell. Thankfully, when he arrived it was hissing and crackling like a good 'un. 3.5 hours later, he'd fixed it.

I'm now getting a steady half-megabit thru the broadband. I know that's not as quick as some are getting, but compared to how it was before, it seems blummin' marvelous.

Back